What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
Luxury! I’m doing it on the floor. It is honestly the heaviest gearbox I’ve ever lifted. FWD gearbox too so have to wiggle it around the crossmember as well as lifting and pushing the bastid.
Ordered up the bits today, picking up Monday. Concentric slave cylinder, CV boot, oil, oil filter, air filter, Yuassa 5 year g/tee battery, 1 litre brake fluid. £320.
More transit saga. The part I was fearing, the lifting in of the 'box, went easy. I angled the engine right down and pulled it forward to give the box more room around the crossmember. Once that was in with a couple of bolts and before going any further, I connected up the hydraulics to make sure I had a good pedal. I didn’t as the fluid was leaking out of the joint between the rigid clutch pipe and the plastic connector that went to the new cylinder. I took it apart half a dozen times to check the seal and clip. Both were fine. On the 7th time, I snapped it back together as I had done the past 6 times and for some reason, it worked. I had a good pedal. Dunno how, dunno why and didn't care! All went fine bolting everything back up until I tried to fit the new CV boot to the drive shaft. I just could not get the outer joint off. I had the whole shaft off of the van so I then tried taking the inner joint off to fit the outer boot from the other end. That bugger wouldn’t come off either. I’ve never, ever had that in my whole life. I even resorted to looking on YouTube and I saw someone using a special drag to try to remove an outer CV joint and even that wouldn’t remove it. That person was fitting a new joint so eventually, he cut the joint off with a cutting disc! I've ordered a new shaft complete. Get this - the CV boot kit was £30, a new shaft with two new joints and new boots - £88! Not worth sodding about with.

Sponsored Links
Back