What lesson can be learnt from this?

Sponsored Links
Agile wrote
But I usually give free advice on this web site although recent developments might cause me to consider reviewing that.
That would be a shame Tony, I personally find yours, and others posts very helpful in my attempts to get my head around how these dammed combis work. :(

That is a shame, ravenheat may get slag here but you should always found out what is wrong before simply changing the boiler.

your story is not uncommon if that gives you any comfort

Unless the cold to the boiler is restricted, then the hot and cold would be balanced, or am I missing something :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
Unless the cold to the boiler is restricted, then the hot and cold would be balanced, or am I missing something :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

would the cold supply be restricted through the boiler whilst in DHW mode but the cold supply to the mixer un-restricted :idea:

clf-gas said:
doitall said:

would the cold supply be restricted through the boiler whilst in DHW mode but the cold supply to the mixer un-restricted :idea:

Maybe but the pressure would be equal :rolleyes:

doitall said:
clf-gas said:
doitall said:

Im not thinking outside the box here, what am I missing :eek:

I had this on an old 350 WB and was nearly tearing me hair out (not that I had much to tear to begin with) untill i was about to change the DHW HE and turned the water off but the hot tap still had pressure

so I began to isolate stuff and found the shower was eff'd

but I must say I would have probably come to the same conclusion as you vinno but I was luckier easliy missed I would say

someone else has probably said it but I am far too fat and lazy to read all the posts

:)

clf-gas said:
doitall said:
clf-gas said:
doitall said:

Not a lot clf-gas :LOL:

just me thinking, when I shouldn't.

If the pressures are equal how can it back up :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

doitall said:
Static pressures would be equal but dynamic pressures would be very different. The flow restriction through a combi results in very low dynamic pressures downstream.

if you got a 16l/m cold water supply and the flow restrictor on boiler is 10l/m, then the cold water leaking in to you hot is not going to try to top up the diff?

i take the cold water is a bit like electrics, find the path of least resistant

doitall said:
clf-gas said:
doitall said:
clf-gas said:
doitall said:

Not a lot clf-gas :LOL:

just me thinking, when I shouldn't.

Praise the lord for that, thinking I needed to stay off the Stella and Vodka on me days off :LOL: :LOL:

Its like Chris says on the post above, in layman terms passage of least resistence and all that :confused: ;)

chrishutt said:
doitall said:
Static pressures would be equal but dynamic pressures would be very different. The flow restriction through a combi results in very low dynamic pressures downstream.

But that would only work if another outlet was opened when using the shower.

Sorry Doitall, don't know your name :oops:

If mixer shower is on and cold is at lets say 1.5 bar and hot 1.2 bar after the boiler, then would'nt cold fight hot to 0.3, hot winning by 0.9 bar...... or is the drink saying go to bed Craig, golf at 6.30am :p

doitall said:
But that would only work if another outlet was opened when using the shower.
I don't think the shower would have to be in use because shower valves generally mix the hot and cold water before the on-off control valve. It is only the non-return valves that stop cold flowing across to hot pipes and vice versa.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back