What to do when one finds a bird, or any other animal, in one's house, with one's cat in attendance?

if it is a young cat, you could get it a collar with bell to reduce its kill rate.

Get a few as they are intended to pull off if caught.

Look up Lyall's wren of Stephen's Island

Sponsored Links
Milka (our cat) has two bells on her collar to give the local mice and birds a chance to escape, as we were getting lots of live mice “gifts” being brought to us.

Does mean that we sometimes get woken up with the jingle of the bells when she visits us in the bedroom, but the trade-off to avoid some of the gifts is worth it.

IMG_2830.png

Sponsored Links
There is or was some video on line we’re slippers ( the cat) got a fully grown duck through a cat flap

Owners thought it was dead until the duck woke up and was not to happy

There is or was some video on line we’re slippers ( the cat) got a fully grown duck through a cat flap

Owners thought it was dead until the duck woke up and was not to happy
I heard he was quackers about it. :cool:

, I don't know, but should the animal be simply evicted, or should something else be done?

If the bird/animal is unharmed, release it somewhere safe from your cat. If injured, either take to a rescue centre, or most vets have an arrangement with RSPCA where they will accept injured wildlife on their behalf at no cost to you. This is usually the easiest route as there's usually a vet nearby with this arrangement. I have used this method several times over the years and usually make a small donation to cover some costs.

Last year I arrived at my brother's to stay for a few days while he was on hols to tabby sit. One hour later, little sod had only brought an adult magpie in through the flap, completely unharmed. Then proceeded to release it in the house for me to deal with. :rolleyes: Managed to usher it out of a window after quite a bit of chasing. No Dreamies for a week!!

I have all sorts over the years came home to a rabbit sitting in the front room as it never ran around the cat lost interest

Woke up to a blackbird singing on my wardrobe

Had two rats one time one was running around the house cat got bored and went to sleep I woke him up and shut him in the room with the rat he brought it in he can deal with it he did eventually

if it is a young cat, you could get it a collar with bell to reduce its kill rate.

Get a few as they are intended to pull off if caught.

Look up Lyall's wren of Stephen's Island
Bells interfere with the cats hearing increasing the risk of traffic accidents. If a cat has brought a young bird in it will probably die of shock, or from the absence of a parent.

Sponsored Links
Back