What type of drain pipe is this? (1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Can anybody identify what type of drain pipe this is please (pic attached).

It is the pipe from the hopper where the gutter down pipe goes.

I was expecting to find a clay pipe, but the silver bit on top of the socket looks like a weld so im guessing it is cast iron. The outer diameter of the pipe itself is about 125mm / 5". The house was built in 1957.

I need to connect a 110mm PVC pipe to it so need to figure out what it is before i cut it.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9104.jpeg
    IMG_9104.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
Hi guys.

Can anybody identify what type of drain pipe this is please (pic attached)?

I was expecting to find a clay pipe, but the silver bit on top of the socket looks like a weld so im guessing it is cast iron. The outer diameter of the pipe itself is about 125mm / 5". The house was built in 1957.

I need to connect a 110mm PVC pipe to it so need to figure out what it is so i can get the correct fitting before i cut it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Im going to use a variable adapter ive found, they are used to connecting PVC to both clay and cast iron.

Yeah they arent in line. The right pipe runs parallel with the house wall, if it was to continue it would hit the soil pipe. The left pipe looks like it is angled away from the wall slightly. It joins the soil pipe about 1m away from the house.

Hi guys.

Can anybody identify what type of drain pipe this is please (pic attached).

I need to connect a 110mm PVC pipe to it so need to figure out what it is before i cut it.

Thanks
Standard 4" (bore) salt glazed pipe with tarred rope & mortar, male-female connections.

It's brown and full of poo.

No wrong, it's rainwater so full of dead leaves.

Seriously, if it's from 1957 then find out where it goes and whether it still works. Soakaways don't last for ever, they clog eventually.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back