Where does the isolator go? (DIY Outdoor hot tub socket) (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing an outdoor socket for our hot tub. I've gone through the wall and installed an IP66 rated enclosure, and had indented to spur off an existing socket in the living room. I drilled at the centre height of that socket on the adjacent wall to make sure the cable run will be in the safety zone, however, I failed to take in to account that the safety zones don't extend beyond the corner.

I had planned to install an two-pole isolator switch to make sure I can remove the outdoor socket from the ring if I want to, and I had planned to install that next to the plug.

Two questions. 1) Is there a best practice for the height of an isolator switch? Should it be high on the wall, or can it be at socket level? 2) If I place it on the exterior wall (at either hight) is this sufficient to create a safety zone for the cable entry once the wall is closed up?

1726134264777.png

Sponsored Links
Hot tubs have many special rules, some are to protect against loss of PEN, and the type of earthing, and the earthed zones change so much, it is not really a DIY job, same as with EV charging points, most garden equipment is class II, so no real problem, but hot tubs have so many rules, and I am to be frank not sure what can and can't be done.

I'm installing an outdoor socket for our hot tub. I've gone through the wall and installed an IP66 rated enclosure, and had indented to spur off an existing socket in the living room. I drilled at the centre height of that socket on the adjacent wall to make sure the cable run will be in the safety zone, however, I failed to take in to account that the safety zones don't extend beyond the corner.

I had planned to install an two-pole isolator switch to make sure I can remove the outdoor socket from the ring if I want to, and I had planned to install that next to the plug.
Why don't you put the switch where the cable comes in to create a 'safe' zone?

Two questions. 1) Is there a best practice for the height of an isolator switch? Should it be high on the wall, or can it be at socket level?
No. Up to you.

2) If I place it on the exterior wall (at either hight) is this sufficient to create a safety zone for the cable entry once the wall is closed up?
No.

Hot tubs have many special rules, some are to protect against loss of PEN, and the type of earthing, and the earthed zones change so much, it is not really a DIY job, same as with EV charging points, most garden equipment is class II, so no real problem, but hot tubs have so many rules, and I am to be frank not sure what can and can't be done.
Thanks for responding.

It's a plug-in inflatable hot tub, rather than a permanent thing. A glorified paddling pool that is defined as class II. It does have a separate "optional" earthing point on the bottom of the pump box, which I have connected to the outside tap.

Sponsored Links
What you currently have is 3 safety zones:
1726171830186.png

The black is 150mm each way from the corner
Brown created by the socket
Red created by the accessory, any accessory, at that point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back