Which replacement tube light fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could I pls have some recommendations as to what I can replace the unit which houses these tube lights with a long life LED one instead?

I would like to get an idea of product costing before I buy it and get a professional to install it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 38D48307-979B-4D3A-8C73-8B523D359376.jpeg
    38D48307-979B-4D3A-8C73-8B523D359376.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 82181B32-34EB-448B-8096-03BC43ECBAE3.jpeg
    82181B32-34EB-448B-8096-03BC43ECBAE3.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 13
Sponsored Links
Could I pls have some recommendations as to what I can replace the unit which houses these tube lights with a long life LED one instead?

I would like to get an idea of product costing before I buy it and get a professional to install it.

Thanks.
Go to TLC and buy replacement fluorescent tubes. Despite what many people claim LED versions are not equivalent.

I've worked in a number of places where significant sums of money have been wasted converting to LED and back to Flou.

If they work why replace the tubes
See https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/blog/fluorescent-lamps-tubes-phased-out-september-2023

Also, look up "Osram SubstiTUBEs"

It might be noted that the light output of the LED “SubstiTUBE” is (only) 1800 Lumens whereas the light output of an equivalent Fluorescent Tube is 3250 Lumens,
However, it should also be noted that the light output of the “conventional’ Fluorescent Tube is at 360° around it - and almost half of that is “upwards” and, hence, “wasted” by the not very efficient white reflecting surface above.

In comparison, the light output of a LED tube is almost entirely “downwards” or “outwards”..

Because of this, a LED tube is likely to appear to be just as ‘bright” (if not more so) as any Fluorescent Tube which it replaces.

In addition, these quoted Lumen values apply when the tubes are new.

A “Conventional” Fluorescent Tube “dims” over the years more than does a LED Tube (plus, its “Ends” also blacken.)

Sponsored Links
How would I know as a lay person whether there tube has gone or if it’s the starter (if I don’t have a replacement tube to hand to try)?

The reason I’m considering replacing the tube holder is because I presume the tube has gone and I might get an electrician in anyway for some other minor works. I own a dental practice and we have a old tube in the disabled and only bathroom and when that goes it’s going to be a headache for me to change it quickly.

I’d rather have a LED one that lasts 5-10 years since the light is almost always left on during the day consuming 70-100 watts v 15-25 watts. And we have several of these in the building with no backup light in critical areas.

What does the /840 represent? Can someone pls recommend some appropriate lengths to match?

@SUNRAY is correct in the main output and life from a fluorescent tube is better and same as the LED's that replace them. And also @FrodoOne is correct the government feel the danger from mercury is greater than the danger from arsenic so are phasing out fluorescent tubes.

So if the ballast is wire wound, which means it has a starter then any LED tube correct length can replace the old fluorescent, if however no starter so likely an electronic ballast then there are some LED tubes which will work, but not all, however since the electronic ballast means the fluorescent uses far less energy for light output, and the tubes last longer, if an electronic ballast you may as well stay with fluorescent for as long as you can still get them.

So 70 watt will be 6 foot tube, the LED replacement is one expensive around £30 and two likely only 40 watt with a 4400 lumen output, where with a wire wound ballast the fluorescent is around 6000 lumen output and an electronic ballast around 6800 lumen output, so if you need the lumen output then better changing the whole fitting. Even if you don't need the output still likely two LED fittings will replace the single fluorescent, so you really need to look at room or area and decide what lighting to use.

The 18 watt is different, the cost is down to around £7, again the LED tube will not have the same output to the fluorescent, an 8 watt LED is around 800 lumen, where an 18 watt fluorescent is around 1400 lumen, so again it depends on how much light is required, but where they were fitted was often under counter etc. And the LED strip light is often a better option.

Paying out £7 to see if it will be enough light is not so bad, but £30 you really want to be sure bright enough. I replaced a 58 watt fluorescent with a 22 watt LED, the first tube did not last long, the second tube did better, but I sold house and new owner replaced with down lights. The original fluorescent 1500 mm long (5 foot) was fitted to get the light spread, it did not really need to be that bright, this was common, so often a lower output will do.

I do not like integral lamps, LED's do fail, and better if one can replace a bulb or tube, than have to change whole fitting. But I look at the kitchen which had the 5 foot fluorescent 102 Kitchen Bike.jpg and that ceiling now has around 12 down lights, at around 4 watt each, so 58 watt replaced with 48 watt, but it had a LED tube at 22 watt, and lumen is now around 3600 where was 5000/2100 so half way between the two tubes. Likely looks better, but at £3 each so £36 plus all the work fitting them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back