Why are all the bearings i order coming scratched like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wtf.jpg

I have a Hyundai i20 MK1 (2008-2015) and i needed to do a top mount bearing.

I have ordered blue print and febi-bilstein parts from different sellers.

As soon as i open the box the bearing is always scored like this (right image)

The damage is a depression and not just surface level, it is grooved into the surface with directional scratch marks.

Like someone touched it with an angle grinder.

This is my third order and i've never seen it before.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• wtf.jpg
    wtf.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks like reference numbers or makers specs have been ground away.

Sounds like not up to factory quality and marks removed accordingly.

Try better quality suppliers (not the cheapest you can find)

Thanks for the reply. So price wise it was nothing out of the ordinary. Last part i ordered and the one you see was this

From an ebay seller, 200k plus feedback and the same price as the link above. Totally separate to the first seller which was not ebay but a UK parts seller.

I am wondering if there is perhaps some supplier issue (scam) and i don't want to keep ordering them from different places to get the same thing over and over.

Sponsored Links
As i said the first parts were not from ebay though they do sell on ebay and these are sealed boxes. The seal on the boxes i got from both sellers was the same.

I'm not sure they are the problem.

I also updated the image.

Are they where the injection moulding sprues have been ground off?

I checked all labels, the same style. one from febi uk and the other febi germany.

I will email febi with some pics and ask if these are genuine parts.

Someone's been well handy with the die grinder here.......
What material are we seeing here (as per Avocet)?
John :)

Someone's been well handy with the die grinder here.......
What material are we seeing here (as per Avocet)?

Are they plastic? If so, depending on how big they are, they might be heavy enough to need a recycling code moulded into them. It will be a series of letters and numbers in between a couple of > < signs.

If these are just casings for a ball race or whatever, I'd be happy enough to use them.

Was wondering myself if the marks make them unuseable. Also what do the sellers say about the marks?

I always try to get SKF brand or similar from a reputable source. So much stuff out there from questionable sources which isn't good with suspension, brakes and steering.

Last edited:
I don’t know what I am looking at here.....if it is a complete bearing ( it does look like it has two halves) then the ground face just has to accept the spring top cup.
I have done a C’eed top bearing but it didn’t look like this one.
John

I don’t know what I am looking at here.....if it is a complete bearing ( it does look like it has two halves) then the ground face just has to accept the spring top cup.
I have done a C’eed top bearing but it didn’t look like this one.
John

It looks like that's a 2-part assembly in the photo, with a ring of Teflon (or something similar) between the two parts, on which it swivels.

This looks like the view if you separate the two parts:

Interestingly, this online retailer appears to show the same bearing with similar grinding marks on it:

If that's the way it works, then I wouldn't lose any sleep over fitting one like that. It won't affect the function.

Sponsored Links
Back