Why might wiring to a socket suddenly die?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new kitchen in 2015 with electrics chased into the wall on a ring. A fused 13amp spur (wall switch) turned power on and off to a double socket used by the washing machine and tumble dryer (they were NEVER run at the same time).

Last year the power to the double socket died. It was no longer live (tried changing the socket and checked all connections). No signs of burn or damage. Then checked the fused spur, changing the fuse and again check it all, no signs of burn or damage (I can't recall if I checked it was getting a live feed but would assume it is as it's on a ring and all other sockets are fine including other spurred ones. The cable used to feed the socket is the correct rating. No animal (even a mouse) can get to the cabling to chew it.

What are some of the possible causes of chased/enclosed wiring not supplying current after time?

Sponsored Links
I can't recall if I checked it was getting a live feed but would assume it is as it's on a ring
DONT assume anything - check with a multimeter/volt meter
The Switch may not work - so as below check that too

The socket that has the SPUR TAKEN from in the kitchen to the FUSED 13A Switch
has that got power and is it on a ring main - in which case 3 wires should be in that socket - maybe check that isnt lose and Live to the SPUR

Take the Switched spur off and look at the wires into the Spur - One set on IN and another on OUT / LOAD , make sure they are connected and LIVE - between LIVE & NEUTRAL on the IN and also between on the LOAD
also check the Switch does actually work - and so when ON if the IN is live the LOAD/OUT is also live when the switch is on / and goes OFF when switched OFF - checking between the L & N for both

If a double pole switch - so Live and Neutral are both switched - CHECK across the LOAD live & Neutral

do you have a mulitmeter / voltage meter , and know how to use it on AC Voltage ?

Last edited:
DONT assume anything - check with a multimeter/volt meter
The Switch may not work - so as below check that too

The socket that has the SPUR TAKEN from in the kitchen to the FUSED 13A Switch
has that got power and is it on a ring main - in which case 3 wires should be in that socket - maybe check that isnt lose and Live to the SPUR

Take the Switched spur off and look at the wires into the Spur - One set on IN and another on OUT / LOAD , make sure they are connected and LIVE
also check the Switch does actually work - and so when ON if the IN is live the LOAD/OUT is also live when the switch is on / and goes OFF when switched OFF

If a double pole switch - so Live and Neutral are both switched - CHECK across the LOAD live & Neutral

do you have a mulitmeter / voltage meter , and know how to use it on AC Voltage ?
Thanks. When doing the wiring and connection checks I thoroughly checked as far as was possible all cables. I have since bought a voltage detector screwdriver so the most I can test is for live.

While I changed the double socket, I did not change the fused spur and your theory that I should not assume that it was fine is definitely worth exploring! I am optimistic that could solve it :) A quick google suggests these can fail randomly even with low power usage because of theFCU or other parts.

Sponsored Links
I have since bought a voltage detector screwdriver so the most I can test is for live.
wont test a problem with the Neutral

switches can fail - had a few do , light switching , and double plug switches , and just a DIYer helping out friends and family

wont test a problem with the Neutral

switches can fail - had a few do , light switching , and double plug switches , and just a DIYer helping out friends and family
prob not worth buying a multi meter just for that one test

I‘d probably get the multimeter and start measuring at the load side of the fused connection unit, L - N and L - E. If both checks show something like 230 V, the problem is between the FCU and the socket.

Otherwise I‘d repeat the checks but on the line side. If that gives full voltage, check the fuse and if that‘s good replace the FCU. If there‘s no power into the FCU, check how it’s fed. It‘s most likely on the ring (two wires in each line side terminal) but it could be in the middle of the spur (only one set of wires). In the latter case, try to find out where the supply comes from.

I‘d probably get the multimeter and start measuring at the load side of the fused connection unit, L - N and L - E. If both checks show something like 230 V, the problem is between the FCU and the socket.

Otherwise I‘d repeat the checks but on the line side. If that gives full voltage, check the fuse and if that‘s good replace the FCU. If there‘s no power into the FCU, check how it’s fed. It‘s most likely on the ring (two wires in each line side terminal) but it could be in the middle of the spur (only one set of wires). In the latter case, try to find out where the supply comes from.
Should I do this before changing the spur?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back