Will an 80A CU take a 45A shower or cooker?

Sponsored Links
45 is less then 80?? Yes.

If there are other circuits aswell, totalling more that 80, then diversity needs to be applied.

It is upto an electrical engineer to decide on diversity across circuits in a building.

If your CU is a Wylex (Standard Range), then devices greater than 32A are not designed to be fitted to the CU, necessitating a change.

If your CU is a Wylex (Standard Range), then devices greater than 32A are not designed to be fitted to the CU, necessitating a change

I converted my old scabby Wylex CU from wireable fuses to MCB's.
I have already a 45A cooker circuit installed with no problems. Do I have a non-standard range if it was upgradeable ? You have got me worried :rolleyes:

cheers for any replies.

Sponsored Links
if the main isolator is 100A you can fit the larger sizes (the largest mcb wylex do is 40A but GE do a 45A mcb to fit wylex standard CUs)

you aren't supposed to be able to fit the bases for the larger ratings into wylex standard CUs that don't have a 100A main switch but if forced they can be fitted

plugwash said:
if the main isolator is 100A you can fit the larger sizes (the largest mcb wylex do is 40A but GE do a 45A mcb to fit wylex standard CUs)

you aren't supposed to be able to fit the bases for the larger ratings into wylex standard CUs that don't have a 100A main switch but if forced they can be fitted

mcb wylex 40A is ok in standard CUs ?

Only if the isolator rating is 100A.

The older Wylex CU's had a 60A switch and were never designed for anything greater than 32A. This is why 40A+ plug-in mcb's have a shield that is designed only to fit the later units with a 100A switch.

Thank you all for your replies. I'd researched this issue on "search" and the most promising info seemed to be that an REC is thinking of up-rating main fuses to 125A.
As a matter of interest, in the USA one commonly finds 200A supplies and boxes with up to 30 circuits. Surely, we are heading that way with domestic CU's having min. of say 20 circuits or 30 ways!
Any comments?

Don't know about 200a supplies but as a wholesaler we are definately seeing a trend towards larger consumer units.

10 years ago a 6 way was probably most common. These days the 10/12 way split load has taken its place but sales of the larger 16/18 way split loads are definately on the increase.

--tom said:
As a matter of interest, in the USA one commonly finds 200A supplies and boxes with up to 30 circuits.
Don't forget that they need twice as much current as us for the same load, so 200A there is no more capacity than 100A here. Also, a combination of radial circuits and a need to keep cable sizes manageable results in more circuits.

Surely, we are heading that way with domestic CU's having min. of say 20 circuits or 30 ways!
Any comments?
Just so long as our CUs don't end up looking like theirs:

appliance_outlet_breakerbox.jpg

alertelec said:
Don't know about 200a supplies but as a wholesaler we are definately seeing a trend towards larger consumer units.

10 years ago a 6 way was probably most common. These days the 10/12 way split load has taken its place but sales of the larger 16/18 way split loads are definately on the increase.
Interestingly (or not) NICEIC's cut-off for Domestic Installation Certificates is 100A and 12 circuits...

Anyway - I'm planning to install a 40-module sometime soon-ish, which reminds me - anybody know a good place to buy Siemens board components - MCBs, neutral bars, bus bars etc?

I'm suprised that the NIC have a maximum number of circuits, I would have thought that if they were adequetely protected then there wouldnt be a problem (Thats why I leave the sparky stuff to you guys ;) ).

I'll see if I can find you somewhere to get Siemens, from memory I thought it was Senate but I'll come back to you on it.

alertelec said:
I'm suprised that the NIC have a maximum number of circuits, I would have thought that if they were adequetely protected then there wouldnt be a problem (Thats why I leave the sparky stuff to you guys ;) ).
I guess it means they can charge more. Cue audible intake of breath through teeth and slow shaking of head as explanation re "too big for a domestic form, see" is formulated....

I'll see if I can find you somewhere to get Siemens, from memory I thought it was Senate but I'll come back to you on it.
Thanks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back