Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our house repointed a couple of years ago and have noticed some of the mortar cracking again in the exact same place. Also had the cement window fixed which seems to be having similar issue, and can see there seems to be a gap in the window frame.

Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_6354.jpeg
    IMG_6354.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6353.jpeg
    IMG_6353.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
If you are referring to the upvc trim at the top of the window, it is nothing to worry about. The trim was glued on to hide the gap at the top of the sash box. It simply needs to re-siliconed to the red rubber bricks above.

I have no idea why the pointing has fallen out again. Not the tidiest of pointing that I have ever seen.

The masonry window sill- do you have a gutter join above that might be leaking? Repairing the sill is not a biggy. I use two pack "car" filler to reskin them.

sill-before.jpg

sill-after.jpg

BTW, the pointing was done by Colin the pointer, using a weather struck finish.

From memory I charged about a day's labour to prepare, fill, sand, refill, sand and then paint.

I don't think you did have it "repointed". I can't find a suitable verb or adjective, but anything with pointed in it won't be a suitable description.

I don't know what you mean about the "cement window". Do you mean the concrete cill at the bottom where paint is lifting? If so, the cause is the same crap person doing a crap job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back