wireless phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does any one have an idea why a wireless phone beeps? it is on the cradle and charging with no probs. does function ok, receive calls and call from, but every few minutes it will beep...

Sponsored Links
Albert - I know you're not daft, but does it say anything in the manual about beeping?

My BT Dect phones beep constantly when battery low, and beep once when placing in cradle...do the batts need replacing?

Try the instructions - if you don't have, then maybe look up the brand on net. If you have an Argos catalogue you may find a helpline number in the catalogue - they print them for prospective customers to make queries.

I concur with Simon, it is likely the batteries are duff and need changing or the charger is duff and needs changing.

Many thanks as usual for your reply.

FWL_Engineer said:
it is likely the batteries are duff and need changing or the charger is duff and needs changing.

securespark said:
...I know your not daft...

I have the instructions and thanks for your replies as usual. You are right - I'm not daft, I read the instructions. It doesn't say anything about beeping etc. The batteries are rechargeable and seem to be full when you look on the phone display. The light on the cradle for charging is on (which means we have power). My first instinct was to check the batteries and then I sent my message. But I think that you still might be right and it is the batteries. If I find a solution then I will let you know, unless you have more ideas.

Sponsored Links
rechageable batteries can "lie" giving the impression they are fully charged when they are not, if it is the batteries see here

oh and how old is the phone?

breezer said:
rechageable batteries can "lie" giving the impression they are fully charged when they are not, if it is the batteries see here

oh and how old is the phone?
If I am not wrong I think it is 'Bell's original phone...:LOL:

It is about 14 months old, but I agree that like yourself the previous mails were talking about bad batteries, as I said this was my original suspicion, just wanted to hear other opinion, there is always something new to learn...
Thanks, Albert

Grab an MM & check the battery voltage & check what the charger is chucking out.

If you do replace the batts, some manufacturers insist on a certain type, usually listed in the instructions - don't do what one of my customers did and install Ni-Cads instead of Ni-MH.......

Also, are the contacts clean? If they are dirty or corroded, they may only be charging intermittently.

One other trick is to leave the phone off it's cradle until it drains the batteries 99% so it turns itself off.

Then leave the phone on the charger for about 12 to 14 hours.

NiCAD, NiMH and Li Ion batteries hate being drained a little, then charged again. It reduces the performance of the battery. Every few charges you should let the phone drain down and then give it a good charge whilst at work or over night.

If this doesn't do it, and it is annoying you, Bin it and buy a new phone, cheaper than new batteries in the long run.

To get as much life out of the battery as possible you should let the batteries run until discharged before returning the phone to the charger. Constantly charging the battery (before discharge) weakens the chemicals inside and therefore reduces the life.

Your support is gold... I would not care too much, but I have a wife... should I say more?
Yes checked first batts. and than contacts..
Checked the batts with batt. tester and it was on the green (well in) but I don't know how good this toys are, so I checked the output from the batts. with a proper multimeter, the reading is 1.4V on the batts it says 1.2V, I assume that this is always the case to overcome losses on the internal comps.
I think that the phone is haunted... :evil:

Just out of interest, is the phone fed from a splitter(two way or three way) with another device plugged into it say a Sky tv Decoder?

securespark said:
Albert - I know you're not daft, but does it say anything in the manual about beeping?

I'm sorry to disappoint you and the others who tried to be so helpful, But this time I think you were right , I am daft... :confused:
2 years ago I had the same problem with a different telephone set, and as I thought (and you all suggested this time) it was the batts. But in this case it could be funny if it would not be stupid, I removed the phones and the bases from the socket, and blimey... the beep was still there, I checked everywhere and I did find it, my sun left his mobile in his school jacket pocket near the desk with the phones, he received a message which he did not read, the phone beeps until the message is read, I did not know that his phone was there, and that it behaves like that, even more confusing was the fact that it has exactly the same beep sound as my wireless.
Now, my son is hanging outside, the phone is in the bin, my wife left me and I am going to see a psychiatrist...

Absolutely Brilliant! had a real good laugh, know exactly how you feel, an easy mistake to make.

:LOL: at least your honest, I dont think I would of admitted it.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back