wiring a cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

after some help please.

I've just moved house, the cooker was previously hardwired into the cooker outlet plate, in the new cottage there is'nt one of these just a cooker socket.

Now i'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that I can't just wire a plug on the end of the cable and plug the thing in....can I?

Electrics is not my strong point....but then again what is :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

andy

Sponsored Links
If it's a full electric cooker rather than just an electric oven you certainly can't.

Do a search here first for "cooker" - loadsa info - see how you get on.

At some point you will need to open up the cooker control unit to see if there is an outgoing cable, and if not you will have to install one, and you will need to confirm that the size of the cable supplying the CCU and the rating of the circuit breaker on that circuit are suitable for your cooker.

If you don't think you're going to be able to do that then you should get an electrician in....

Hi andy!
When you say there is no cooker outlet plate, just a cooker socket do I take it there is only 1 switch relating to the 3 pin socket and no other switch. ( What makes it a cooker socket? )
Cooker control units basically have 2 switches ( 1 for cooker 1 for socket).or 1 switch ( if there's no socket)
As far as I'm aware it's not essential you have a outlet plate although it does make a neater job.
Is it possible conduit has been fitted in the wall below the cooker control unit so the cooker cable is hidden behind the cooker but wired direct to the unit.
On the other hand if it is a surface mounted cooker control unit the cable may have been run on the wall surface. Is there a hole in the bottom where a cable could have come out.
Or are you saying you have no dedicated 'cooker cable' or 'cooker control unit' or ' outlet plate '. (cooker cable will be at least 6mm)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back