Wrong mortar mix - schoolboy error

Sponsored Links
By the time you have removed enough material, both sides of a single skin, you risk some of the bricks popping off (what's left of) their beds.

I'm not doing the whole lot - most of it is hidden. Just the end (front) of the wall which will be seen. The rest is mainly inside what will be storage etc - don't care too much about the colour scheme in there!

So I got this all sorted and the BBQ was successfully christened on Saturday evening.

I would like to extend the height of the brickwork on either side of the BBQ, just by a couple of courses. However on one side I would need to brick straight onto the granite worktop. I'm assuming that the mortar would struggle to get a decent adhesion on polished granite. Any suggestions?

Mark where the brick will go... VERY clearly, with bright tape, bearing in mind it will get very dusty, then scuff up the area with an angle grinder. Make shallow criss-cross cuts where the bricks will need to go. Take great care not to cross your lines with the ends of the disk, especially as it sinks in so gets wider.

Very thoroughly wash it with a hosepipe after, nothing sticks to dust.

Sponsored Links
Mark where the brick will go... VERY clearly, with bright tape, bearing in mind it will get very dusty, then scuff up the area with an angle grinder. Make shallow criss-cross cuts where the bricks will need to go. Take great care not to cross your lines with the ends of the disk, especially as it sinks in so gets wider.

Very thoroughly wash it with a hosepipe after, nothing sticks to dust.
Thank you - sounds perfect. I think I'll go one step further and clamp some timber along the marked area to slow any sudden transgression of the grinder.

Thank you - sounds perfect. I think I'll go one step further and clamp some timber along the marked area to slow any sudden transgression of the grinder.

That might not be fun if the grinder snags on the wood.....

Would I be better clamping something else? Or is there a better way other than just being really careful as Ivor suggested?
I'd go with careful tbh... you don't need to score it very deep. I understand it's not ideal.....

Alternatively drill a load of shallow holes with a sharp masonry bit and hammer action switched off, if you hammer there's a good chance of blowing the worktop to bits. Less risk of sideways movement, and you'll be safe with a wood barrier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back