Wylex have changed their busbar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to a recent post expressing concern over a design change to Wylex CU's, enclosed is a picture of a 6,6,3 I picked up today from my local Edmundsons.

Looks like the old 'comb' design may well be out, no issues putting it together either.

Sponsored Links
there same as ones i have always used apart from smaller 2way boards etc which had comb busbar.
i do really like wylex. only other boards i liked were square d. worst boards i used are siemens!! im sure others have there preferences though??

I have used a fair few Square D KQ boards - seem good. Merlin Gerin are good too - they are both made by the same people.

Not sure on the Square D Domae range - can you get RCBOs for them?
Siemens are or were similar to the old MK ones.

edit, should have read good - not goo :LOL:

not to sure havent used square d for couple years my old firm liked square d and siemens!from one extreme to the other that is in my opinion!!i just think siemens are cheaply made and flimsy and we used to have lot of problems with faulty breakers etc.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't really touch domae, If there's money in for Square D (did have it requested by an engineer I did a board change for once) then I'd be looking at the quickline II range, with the encapsulated busbar.

Don't know if there are domae RCBO''s, should be, they are quite a popular contract board.

I have stuck to KQ range at the moment - I don't really do that much on the domestic front.
On the industrial front I have seen a tendency to go for BS88 fuses.

Which are the best brand boards for domestics? Hager tend to always get a good review.

Personally I like MK or hager for domestic work, and I'm not a fan of wylex.

SquareD and Merlin are the only real contenders for commercial IMO, although hager are ok.

why are you not a fan of wylex out of curiosity?personally i would recommend wylex domestically over anything else. it maybe a lot to do with how you like board layout and the way you like cables dressed inside board etc for prefernces to certain manufacturers

They are just horrible. The build quality is rubbish, the MCBs have awful screws on them, and you can't fit RCBOs in there properly. The selection of circuit designation stickers shows just how cheap they are.

Granted, they are better than the none branded guff on eBay and the likes of MCG / chint etc.

the newer boards now have more space for single module rcbos but i tend to use dual module rcbos if possible for vertical space altho it takes up two ways on the busbar!!i must admit i have had problems (altho rare in proportion to amount fitted!!)with mcb and rcbo screws not tightening up on the busbar!!

It maybe a lot to do with how you like board layout and the way you like cables dressed inside board etc for prefernces to certain manufacturers

Or if you have a shelf in the garage full of Wylex MCB's.

May reconsider when I run dry. I do love crabtree, but their D/S/L boards are not as good as their S/L boards, just too much going on in them now.

It does depend a lot on what your wholesaler / wholesalers in your area hold stock of.

I'd be laughing if I liked fitting Proteus or M2 !

I've used half a dozen NH boards this year and they have all been like that.

You do know the bus bars have to go on after you have positioned the MCB, RCBO, RCD's for the A, B and C circuits.

So the only real issue is lining up all the bits with the front cover window before you start joining all the MCB and RCD's sets together with the bar.
I've always thought that Wylex could at least provide markings for the slot positions of mcbs and cu components- maybe one day they will.

I use Hager a lot, but like Wylex if only for the fact that in a tight space, you can get more Wylex in than Hager.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back