Xpelair oddly connected

Sorry plug, it's a whacking great MK metalclad unit with big squarish front plates.

Similar to K5011 WHI, but a lot older.

Also, to do what you suggest, I would use two 47mm boxes (better depth) linked with a box jointing piece (Appleby do them)

The advantage of this is that you then have some plate adjustment (your boxes have fixed lugs).

Sponsored Links
if you can find somewhere that stocks them the get rocca modular range may be an idea

specifically a 4x2 module box with a 2scokets in the bottom row and 3 20A siwtches (for the sockets and fan) and a 3A fuse in the top row

the roka modular box for a 4x2 module unit is 137x137x41mm the mk box is 152 x 140 x 55mm this would leave about a 7.5mm gap down each side and a 1.5mm gap top and bottom which should be reasonablly easy to fill unforunately the page with the actual sockets and switched for rocca modular is missing form the online verion of the catalog but thier sample shots clearly show a 13A socket is 2 modules provide each socket with a 20A dp switch and fit a fuse and switch for the fan

btw gets site is here

Obviously a fan won't be drawing 16A (although I have done some work with wind tunnels that draw just a little bit more ).
The point is being missed here It's not the issue of what the fan draws but if a fault developed internally in the fan or at the connector the cable will be backed up by a 16A breaker.

kendor said:
The point is being missed here It's not the issue of what the fan draws but if a fault developed internally in the fan or at the connector the cable will be backed up by a 16A breaker.

That was the very point of making it an RCBO as opposed to an MCB. Should any fault develope, the RCBO will disconnect the supply.(Originally I missed the post mentioning the 1.0mm cable :eek:..you should have mentioned cable sizes in the original post Simon, and on the other forum! )

However the solution would be to simply install an unswitched fused spur immediately adjacent to the CCU and link to this using a small length of 2.5mm Cable

There is no-way this can be made to comply without disturbing tha wall.

Sponsored Links
FW

Sorry. The cable sizes are mentioned here, but not elsewhere.

kendor said:
The point is being missed here

Not by me it wasn't! :p

I believe there was talk of a FUSED connection unit. On a FUSED connection unit the FUSE would blow (if correctly rated) before the size of the 1mm cable would cause any issue.

I haven't seen anything connected into a FCU (with the exception of an immersion heater) that had a 2.5mm cable on it. It wouldn't count as fixed wiring, would it?

FW

If the 1.00mm to the fan is encased in capping, and I can refeed the fan with 2.5, I guess your original solution would stand?

AdamW said:
kendor said:
The point is being missed here

Not by me it wasn't! :p

I believe there was talk of a FUSED connection unit. On a FUSED connection unit the FUSE would blow (if correctly rated) before the size of the 1mm cable would cause any issue.

I haven't seen anything connected into a FCU (with the exception of an immersion heater) that had a 2.5mm cable on it. It wouldn't count as fixed wiring, would it?
The original reply i posted was picking up on someone saying there was no need for fusing down to protect the cable and the reason for quoting you afterwards was the fact that there was no mention on that thread about the fusing down but only about what the fan would draw. hence my posting, apologies if you took it that i was criticising you, just making the point that it's not a case of big enough breaker for the fan but proper protection for the cable at end of circuit

Actually, not long after posting that I realised what your point was Kendor! One of those cases where one person is considering one side of the problem, another thinking about the other.

I leapt ahead of myself and assumed there would be an FCU instead of the cooker switch. D'oh! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back