Yellow artic cable for external lighting can be used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All. I currently have external lighting wired with flat grey cable which I understand is illegal even if look new and been there for ages.

I have load of 1.5mm 3 core yellow artic

Can this be used or I need to buy the black one?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is not illegal to use twin and earth, but the cable is not rated for outside use. The yellow artic cable denotes 110 volt, in the main 55-0-55 volt so the cores should be brown, black, green/yellow, yet most are brown, blue, green/yellow, think it is unlikely you will find correct colours, which points to how we flaunt the regulations and recommendations every day.

If I was to use yellow artic at work for 55-0-55 that would be very wrong, but at home where we have not got 110 volt not the same problem.

It is a case of using some common sense.

It is not illegal to use twin and earth, but the cable is not rated for outside use. The yellow artic cable denotes 110 volt, in the main 55-0-55 volt so the cores should be brown, grey, green/yellow, yet most are brown, blue, green/yellow, think it is unlikely you will find correct colours, which points to how we flaunt the regulations and recommendations every day.

CA1.5ART3Y.JPG

Grey?

Sponsored Links
Phase colours are brown, black and grey, and a 110 volt supply does not have a neutral, it is 55-0-55 volt so the plugs should be marked L1 and L2 not L1 and N, and the cable should be brown, black and green/yellow.

I have never seen yellow artic cable brown, black and green/yellow, have seen it brown, black, grey and green/yellow however.

So we do not comply with correct colours, we all know we do not comply, but no one seems to care, so at what point does one say, not doing that, it does not comply? So is twin and earth really a problem outside?

I did make an error, said 55-0-55 where I should have said 230, now corrected, but I did say you will not find correctly coloured yellow artic cable, that was my point.

Don't conductors merely have to be identified (except where there is no possibility of confusion)?

It doesn't matter what colour they actually are?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back