Yorkshire fittings advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :),

As a competent and confident DIY’er I’ve got some more plumbing to do in 15mm copper. I only work with Yorkshire fittings, as it’s much easier for the unskilled :giggle:.

I can’t say I’ve ever done a professional looking job, I always overcompensate by adding more than enough flux and extra solder to make sure the joint is sound, with big drips of solder on the bottom of the joint :cry:. I know this is bad practice, and I know it can cause a restricted flow inside the pipe, but on a more positive note non of my joints have ever leaked :p.

Anyway….to the point….I've done a few searches on here as to whether to add a bit more solder to make sure the joint is sound when you see the ring of solder, but is it really necessary ?? I couldn’t find a recent answer to this question.

Many thanks,
Graeme.

Sponsored Links
Yorkie fittings are twice the price of end feed, but you choice.
You only need a clean, dry pipe to make a good joint, and a smear of flux.
Always best to wipe off any excess flux before you solder, and always wipe the joint with a damp cloth after soldering to remove any flux residue.
There will now follow 10 pages of advice from people who know best, I just do it for a living.

Anyway….to the point….I've done a few searches on here as to whether to add a bit more solder to make sure the joint is sound when you see the ring of solder, but is it really necessary ?? I couldn’t find a recent answer to this question.

Completely unnecessary. The whole point of Yorkshire fittings, is that no extra solder is necessary. I just clean the pipe end up, wipe the end, and the inside of the fitting, with a trace of flux, assemble, then apply heat until the ring of solder shows evenly, all the way round. Finally, give the joint a wipe, to clean off the flux. The only time I might add solder, is when resoldering a Yorkshire fitting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reassurance, that’s just what I wanted to hear (y)

I’ll try and resist adding that little bit of extra solder ;)

Yorkie fittings are twice the price of end feed, but you choice.
You only need a clean, dry pipe to make a good joint, and a smear of flux.
Always best to wipe off any excess flux before you solder, and always wipe the joint with a damp cloth after soldering to remove any flux residue.
As above only thing I would add is apply flux with a brush sparingly to pipe only twist fittings as you put them on.
Never used yorkshire by choice since I was a apprentice back in late 60s.
End feed just as good way less cost.

As above only thing I would add is apply flux with a brush sparingly to pipe only twist fittings as you put them on.

I so rarely came across any, but Yorkshire fittings - maybe something to do with living in Yorkshire :)

Unfortunately, due to my lack of skill, I throw liberal amounts of flux at every fitting which I believe has caused “issues” later :cry:

And I know Yorkshire (or solder ring) fitting are expensive, but there’s no way I have the skills to use end feed :cry:

Thanks for the advice (y)

Thanks for the reassurance, that’s just what I wanted to hear (y)

I’ll try and resist adding that little bit of extra solder ;)
I used a Yorkshire fitting recently because it wasn’t available as end feed at the time….I was surprised as there was loads of solder, when done there was a fair blob on the underside.

If you are adding more solder, you are actually increasing the risk of a leaking joint not lowering the risk.

End feed fittings are cheap, you should buy a few and practice…..it took me a few goes but I got confident after a few goes.

With end feed, you can put a bend on the solder so you know how much to apply, it’s not much some people say 15mm length for 15mm and 22mm length for err 22mm. (probably less than that is needed actually)

I also found it best to use same brand flux and solder, I use Fernox power flow, I tried other brands but found the solder ended up dull and rough, not nice and shiny

I always clean inside the joint and the pipe ends, then coat with flux and when putting the fitting on, give a couple of twists to spread the flux.
The secret with soldering end feed is stroking the solder on the joint a few times until it’s hot enough to melt then feed in the length needed….the thing is the flux can burn off quickly so you have to heat quickly and get solder on as soon as poss.

I used a Yorkshire fitting recently because it wasn’t available as end feed at the time….I was surprised as there was loads of solder, when done there was a fair blob on the underside.

If you are adding more solder, you are actually increasing the risk of a leaking joint not lowering the risk.

End feed fittings are cheap, you should buy a few and practice…..it took me a few goes but I got confident after a few goes.

With end feed, you can put a bend on the solder so you know how much to apply, it’s not much some people say 15mm length for 15mm and 22mm length for err 22mm. (probably less than that is needed actually)

I also found it best to use same brand flux and solder, I use Fernox power flow, I tried other brands but found the solder ended up dull and rough, not nice and shiny

I always clean inside the joint and the pipe ends, then coat with flux and when putting the fitting on, give a couple of twists to spread the flux.
The secret with soldering end feed is stroking the solder on the joint a few times until it’s hot enough to melt then feed in the length needed….the thing is the flux can burn off quickly so you have to heat quickly and get solder on as soon as poss.

I think I must have seen a few people on YouTube adding a bit more solder once the ring has appeared just to make sure, so I’ve taken that on as being gospel. Lesson learnt, and I’ll try it without this time and report back next week (y)

I’m always meticulous in cleaning the pipe and the inside the fittings with wire wool, then a good brush with flux, probably way too much flux, but I’ll be more careful with that this time.

Cheers (y):)

Firstly by adding more solder you are never going to increase the risk of it leaking more it can just make it look a bit more untidy
Flux should only be put on the pipe never in the fitting
Heat the fitting up evenly do not concentrate heat in just one part of the fitting this is when you burn flux off

For diyers you would be better with a primus gas bottle and nozzle it burns cooler than the other gases and less chance of over cooking the fittings .
Bottles dear to start with but less than a tenner for a refill from city plumbing and the likes

Last edited:
I think I must have seen a few people on YouTube adding a bit more solder once the ring has appeared just to make sure
The only time I’ve used Yorkshire fittings I found there was plenty of solder, easily as much as I put in for an end feed.

I can’t think why anybody would try and add more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back