Yorkshire fittings advice please.

Sponsored Links
I used to have problems galore with copper plumbing. In the end I discovered I was using to much heat not to little. Nowadays I find it's easier, quick and simple.

All you need do with Yorkshire fittings, is heat them until you see the ring of solder spread evenly around the lip, then remove the heat. It's important to get the heat, evenly, all the way around the fitting.

I too am guilty of adding extra and have only ever used solder ring fittings. Done quite a lot DIY with them over the years. My thought process is that once the solder has melted out of the ring then that ring is a potential void and if the solder hasn't fully filled the section from the ring to the end - say it went the other way then I am adding a bit extra from the end.
Interesting that someone says a solder ring fitting has much more solder than an end feed would need - are they already compensating for my worries.
Another thing Are there different makes as I said I have used solder ring - I thought that was the name for them, now I see there are Yorkshire fittings ( I thought yorkshire fittings was just a trade name)
Also I see the pros set up the run of pipes and then solder everything there. Whenever I can I do the soldering outside or in a vice so I can see all the way around the fitting then I move to the work area and do the last bits.

Last edited:
Another thing Are there different makes as I said I have used solder ring - I thought that was the name for them, now I see there are Yorkshire fittings ( I thought yorkshire fittings was just a trade name)

I seem to remember it was a Yorkshire company, which invented the idea (Yorkshire Copper ??), but Yorkshire fittings, and solder ring fittings, are used interchangeably.

Sponsored Links
Anyone ever seen the inside of a soldered end feed fitting somehow. Is the whole area full of solder.

We call them Yorkies, specifically because the originals were first brought out by Yorkshire Copper in the UK. Now there's a lot of other making them cheaper. Yorkshire copper make higher quality finished fittings though IMO, just like Pegler valves against generic ones, invariably you are paying a higher priced for the better quality.

I don't think the amount of solder would be scrimped on, as long as the solder ring is level with the internal pipe then there should be enough to fill the ring, that then suggests there's more than enough to make the joint.

I will only buy Yorkshire and pegler from now on. Why scrimp on your own home and going DIY you are sill saving £££ and may just give yourself a better chance of the job not failing with cheap parts.

just like Pegler valves against generic ones
I now just buy Pegler service valves having found budget ones tend to leak.

I’ve no experience to know if the Pegler ones are better, but the quality of the machining and finish is very good and professionals seem to use them, so that’s good enough for me.

I will only buy Yorkshire and pegler from now on. Why scrimp on your own home and going DIY you are sill saving £££ and may just give yourself a better chance of the job not failing with cheap parts.

Yorkshire guarantee their fittings and pipes for 25 years.

We call them Yorkies, specifically because the originals were first brought out by Yorkshire Copper in the UK.

Around here, we eat Yorkies, with rich onion gravy..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back