110v or 240v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why can't we have 110v instead of 240v like they do in others country and wouldn't it be safer?

Sponsored Links
you have that the wrong way round, why can't other countries have 240v

There is a euopean standard it is 230 v, we did used to be 240v, most countries are 230, 110 is safer but as you reduce the volyage you have to increase the current by the opposite so an apliance at 230 v that draws say 2 amps will draw 4 amps at 110v (this is only a rough guide)

also how would you like to be told oh by the way your tv is now obsolete? you will have to get a new one, oh and a fridge, washing m/ c kettle...........

also it means that the substations can be smaller since the out put voltage is higher

Thats a bit like why don't we have left hand drive instead of right hand drive like everyone else as that used to be the main reason we payed over the odds for cars.
Which is odd when you think the biggest car manufacturing country, Japan, drive on the left as we do. Somebody is conning somebody else somewhere here. :eek: :eek: :eek: :?:

If we did change over you would have to re-wire your house to take the increased amperage as well (remember 6v beetles and the newer 12v, wiring half the size).

speaking of driving on the other side of the road, did you know Swedn actually did change the side of the road they drive on.

and no jokes about yes they started with the trucks first

Sponsored Links
:LOL: Why not go the whole hog and adopt a 12 volt D.C. Supply.
Now that would be very safe :LOL:

did you know that d.c. (direct current) is more lethal than a.c. (alternating current) , which is why we all have a.c.

if you really want to know why read on.

When you get an a.c electric shock all your muscles contract and expand rapidly

When you get a d.c. shock all your muscles contract and stay that way, so if you do not die from being heated up as the current flows through you, you will suffocate

MMM point taken.. However... normal resistance of human skin from hand to hand is somewhere in the region of 1.5 mohms ( with wet fingers )

15000000 ohms 12 volts = 8 to the -7 amps. ( not a lot ) wont even feel it

Seriusly though 220/240 is much better ( as is driving on the left )

Thats why its GREAT Britain

AC supplies where adopted for several reasons one of the main ones being the fact thay with transformers the power could be ditributed at high voltages and low currents using aluminium wires on pylons and then back down to any level u like at the other end with a minimum of power loss.
The electric shock hazard ( or lack of it ) is purely co-incidental. I can remember this from my university days (long long ago )

did you also know?
it takes less than 35 mA to kill you, but as you pointed out the resistance of the body must be low enough for 35mA to flow, which is why you can not have electrical apliances in the bathroom, and all lamps should be "sealed" (sealed so that you cannot just change or touch a lamp while the bath is full)

breezer said:
speaking of driving on the other side of the road, did you know Swedn actually did change the side of the road they drive on.

and no jokes about yes they started with the trucks first

I remember reading about that breezer, was about 25/30 years ago, they go to bed Saturday, all change on Sunday.
The drunk drivers were laughing cos they were the only ones driving correctly :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

breezer said:
did you know that d.c. (direct current) is more lethal than a.c. (alternating current) , which is why we all have a.c.

if you really want to know why read on.

When you get an a.c electric shock all your muscles contract and expand rapidly

When you get a d.c. shock all your muscles contract and stay that way, so if you do not die from being heated up as the current flows through you, you will suffocate

Complete twaddle.

The *shock* hazard of AC is greater than that of DC 'amp for amp' at domestic frequencies; AC causes muscle freeze and DC tends to throw the victim away. At higher frequencies, AC becomes increasingly less dangerous as it tends to follow on the surface of the conductor.

I notice you two comedians answering questions here, do you actually know anything about electricity??

Wilfred

i am afraid we will just have to dissagree then

you may also want to see this it clearly shows dc is more lethal than ac which is what i said

I also said lethal, not shock

Of course we know about electricity or we wouldnt dare give advice on here. But a sense of humour is a help.

Life is too short Shakes to be too serious, sensible advice is handed out on this site when people know/ have an experience of the problem.
People must be able to have a laugh, after all you're called Wilf so your parents had a sense of humour even if you don't !!!

breezer said:
i am afraid we will just have to dissagree then

you may also want to see this it clearly shows dc is more lethal than ac which is what i said

I also said lethal, not shock

It's wrong! The table has the AC and DC the wrong way round. But congratulations on finding what might well be the only link on the entire internet that supports your position! :)

Try this link (or any of the others) :

http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section20/chapter277/277a.htm

"The type of current affects the severity of the injury. In general, direct current (DC), which has zero frequency but may be intermittent or pulsating, is less dangerous than alternating current (AC), which is generally used in the USA. The effects of AC on the body depend largely on the frequency. Low-frequency currents of 50 to 60 Hz (cycles/sec), which are commonly used, are usually more dangerous than high-frequency currents and are 3 to 5 times more dangerous than DC of the same voltage and amperage. DC tends to cause a convulsive contraction, often forcing the victim away from the current's source. AC at 60 Hz (household current) produces muscle tetany, often freezing the hand to the current's source; prolonged exposure may result, with severe burns if the voltage is high."

Re: "lethal, not shock"

In 'Health and Safety' parlance, "hazard" refers to the 'inherent' or 'intrinsic' danger associated with something (as opposed to the probability of exposure occurring) - in this case, I referred to AC and DC shock hazard.

Wilfred.

PS
Scoby, H&S misinformation isn't really a joking matter. And anyway, what's wrong with 'Wilfed' ?! It was good enough for my grandma...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back