12v or not 12v - that is the question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: :confused:
Sorry poor subject line......
I am putting in a bathroom ventilation fan within the shower area of a shower bath (zone 1 i believe). Does the fan have to be a 12v connected through an FCU to a RCD socket ring or can a suitably designed wet area mains voltage fan be used?
Most of the 12v fans only seem to be able to shift 90m3 per hour whereas I have calculated that I need in the region of 150m3 per hour. (room size 2.1x1.8x2.25m x 15-20 changes per hour)

Sponsored Links
so long as the fan is suitably rated you can use mains and feed it from the lighting circuit

it is zone 1

tech_mmbathroom.jpg

picture courtesy of the electric light company (copied from fubar's refernce post)

if in a recess (e.g a window above the bath) the window changes to zone 2

Sponsored Links
Dustyy said:
Most of the 12v fans only seem to be able to shift 90m3 per hour whereas I have calculated that I need in the region of 150m3 per hour. (room size 2.1x1.8x2.25m x 15-20 changes per hour)
Manrose do a 150mm (6" in old money) SELV fan with a rate of 230m³/h.

For some unknown reason they keep it a deep dark secret - it's in their printed catalogue, but not their website, except in a price list:

http://www.manrose.com/pricelist/004.html

You buy either fan (XF150ALV or BLV), and then your choice of transformer - straight on/off, timed overrun, humidistat etc.

If you search for the model number on the interweb you'll find suppliers.

It's good quality kit, too, I believe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back