50Amp Hager RCBO type A 30mA 6KA latest part number

You are entitled to want a good quality brand. Nobody will stop that.

Sponsored Links
You are entitled to want a good quality brand. Nobody will stop that.
I am happy to provide the sparky brand new retail parts from online retails by shopping around for best price and take responsibilty if any of the new part is faulty.

People do that with car mechanics. The garage don't shop for good deals so customer will find same premium brands parts but better online deals and supply the part and customer also takes ownership if part faulty.

But with Sparky work it seems a bit more complex as none will touch the work and want to quote for a complete project. My CU was fitted 18 years and the whole house was rewired. Majority of the homes most likely have CU of my design so can't be that bad. Will just carry on with it until plastic CU becomes dangerous or ilegal.

But with Sparky work it seems a bit more complex as none will touch the work and want to quote for a complete project.
A consumer unit is not a single part - it's a collection of parts specific to a particular installation.

Customers buying what they think is suitable rarely works, and it only needs one item to be incorrect or missing and there is a whole load of wasted time while the correct items are obtained.
Even if the exact amount of correct items is provided - what happens if one of them is faulty or it's decided when installing to modify or change one or more of the circuits to something more appropriate?
If the customer has supplied the items, then it's waste more time and money while replacements are obtained.
If the electrician is supplying, they will inevitably have more of the same in their van, so not a problem.

The installation of a new consumer unit involves fully inspecting and testing all of the existing circuits and fixing any problems that are found. That is a majority of the work involved, and customers supplying their own consumer unit changes none of that.
You are also attempting to get 'deals' on Hager RCBOs, which are already some of the cheapest available at about £14 each.

Sponsored Links
So these RCBO at £14 each should not be used??
Why would you think that?

The point is that as they are already some of the cheapest, your searching about for savings will in reality save next to nothing, but is very likely to cause a pile of wasted time and hassle for whoever is unfortunate enough to be installing it.

Why would you think that?

The point is that as they are already some of the cheapest, your searching about for savings will in reality save next to nothing, but is very likely to cause a pile of wasted time and hassle for whoever is unfortunate enough to be installing it.
I am a bit lost here...are you saying the items this shop selling is junk and should let sparky purchase from a expensive shop??

I think the point is the electrician could get the parts for the same kind of price.

That said, I'm sure some electricians will blindly fit whatever you supply, IF IT'S CORRECT - though it's not the norm.

Electricians tend to buy what they need, and if any items are wrong it's usually easier for the electrician to sort it out.

(Believe me, after four weeks of a customer repeatedly buying 2 way switches instead of intermediate ones, I know a bit about this.)

Thank you all for taking time to reply here. It's been very educational and I really appreciate everyones input.

I was prepared to purchase new parts from online shop and pay a sparky for his time to install and test. Maybe I was naive thinking about 3 hours of sparky time would cover it since there are only 8 MCB. The 9th MCB is just a single light under stairs and I could just plug a lamp into the socket located next to light switch.

My wiring has not been exposed to any DIY tampering since it was freshly rewired with the consumer unint.

I had the smart meter and isolation switch installed today and the engineer stated my consumer is not even that old compared to some of the house he has viisted. Also pointed out unless there are issues with the MCB then I would paying from £600 to £700+ for no reason.

I have decided to scrap this idea and leave the current CU doing its job for now.

I am a bit lost here...are you saying the items this shop selling is junk and should let sparky purchase from a expensive shop??
No.

Saving money on items which are already cheap will save nothing.
If you saved an unlikely 20%, you have saved less than £3 per item, or about £22 on the entire lot.

There is no junk, there is nothing wrong with Hager items or that particular outlet that is selling them. They are that price everywhere.

Maybe I was naive thinking about 3 hours of sparky time would cover it since there are only 8 MCB
Not even close. Properly inspecting and testing 8 circuits, fixing problems found and then installing a consumer unit and then doing the required tests afterwards is a full days work at least, and could easily be more depending on the condition of the installation.

Not even close. Properly inspecting and testing 8 circuits, fixing problems found and then installing a consumer unit and then doing the required tests afterwards is a full days work at least, and could easily be more depending on the condition of the installation.
So could pass £1k for updating this to 18th edition. So even more reason to scrap the idea...if it aint broke then nothing to fix.
Best to leave it until if/when myself or the next owner of house gets a EV charger.

The meter fitter also mentioned to get a recommended sparky, otherwise some will just turn this into a major project for easy money since customer does not have enough knowledge to challenge them.

I shall close this post. Thank you all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back