7kW immersion heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just wondering, seeing as my immersion is wired in 4mm, technically I should be able to draw 30A (provided I upgraded the fuse on the radial!).

Now, does anyone know if it is possible to buy a standard-fit immersion heater of more than 3kW? This would give benefits such as heating a tank of water in 10 minutes flat. I am not sure if the industrial type ones would fit a standard copper cylinder.

This is just theory as I have no intention of doing it, not really worth the outlay, but it would be interesting to see.

Sponsored Links
Not come across any but you could install an electrode water boiler!!

These heat the water by passing a current between electrodes immersed in it......

That's not a bad idea, use the resistance of the water instead of a coil, clever engineering!

Slight earth leakage problem unless you supply it via a transformer...

Sponsored Links
Adam, the easy way to achieve it, if your tank has the facility, is to install a second immersion element and stat. This has the added bonus of ensuring hot water if one fails!!

A factory I used to work at had an electrode boiler for steam generation, about once a month the RCD used to trip and would not re set until salt had been added to the water-that meant a trip to the canteen and free cakes

AdamW said:
That's not a bad idea, use the resistance of the water instead of a coil, clever engineering!
Indeed - failsafe too. I wonder how long the electrodes last..

FWL_Engineer said:
Adam, the easy way to achieve it, if your tank has the facility, is to install a second immersion element and stat. This has the added bonus of ensuring hot water if one fails!!

Yes, have a semi-redundant immersion heater! Not a bad idea.

Free cakes? Blimey, when we get snowed in at work we don't even get free cups of tea!

AdamW said:

Here's one for you:

ETSH25Mi_komplett_70.jpg

That one's only 25MW - they can do you a 60MW if you prefer. You do have a 10kV supply, don't you? :LOL: :LOL:

I'm sorry - I may have suggested an inappropriate product. The drawing above doesn't really give any indication of scale, but elsewhere on their website they have a photo which does:

Letter_fr.htm_txt_ETSH25_pic1.gif

hope you're not disappointed..

So, enough for a couple of baths and a load in the WM, then, Ban???

I leave it as an exercise to the reader (i.e. anyone who can be bothered) to work out, assuming 100% efficiency, how many 300l baths could be filled per second with water raised from 10C to 40C in a 60MW boiler...

hehe

what i think would be nice is a fast kettle

how much power would be needed to raise say 1L of water to 100 celcius in say 10 seconds

plugwash said:
hehe

what i think would be nice is a fast kettle

how much power would be needed to raise say 1L of water to 100 celcius in say 10 seconds

That's 'O' level physics.

Unfortunately it's a long time since I did my Physics O level....

But I do know that it'll take more energy to make it boil than just to raise it to 100.

when the water in your kettle starts to boil it means that at least some of the water is as hot as it is going to get as a liquid

energy is then being wasted turning the water into useless steam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back