7kW immersion heater?

Stod said:
AdamW said:
Of course, I could well be wrong. Stod, how did you get 144A per phase?

By getting the decimal point wrong. It should be 1443 amp.

25000kW /10 kV /sqr(3)

I hope I got it right this time. I'm sure FWL will correct me if I'm wrong.

hehehe..I'd already done the calculation before I posted Stod..I guessed that's what you had done :D

Sponsored Links
Stod said:
Just get the pressure up to 3206.2 psi and the water won't boil at all. It turns directly into steam at 374 deg C.

3206.2 psi? That's only 200 psi or so more than that pressure chamber from earlier. Tell you what, after we make the 290 deg C tea, we can whack up the pressure a bit and make some boil-free steam. :D

AdamW said:
3206.2 psi? That's only 200 psi or so more than that pressure chamber from earlier.

Well, at the risk of being pulled up for the wrong number a second time in this thread, water boils at 368 deg C at 3000 psi (abs), not 290. That is, according to my Callendar Steam Tables.

Ah, you see my number was calculated using an approximation: any aerodynamicists here will appreciate how real-world fluids bear little resemblence to the equations. So you can see that my answer is only approximate.

At least you know where you are with Ohm's law...

Stod, your answer is no doubt from experimental observation so is more accurate than mine... but I have to pull you on a wrong number and point out that 200 atmospheres is only about 2940psi :p I propose that above 2940 psi the "superheated tea interraction" comes into play and you get a leap to 368 degrees by 3000 psi.

Sponsored Links
Bl**dy H*ll!!

All this trouble, just to make a cuppa...

Now you know why I stick to water.....(cold, not heated to any temp. by any method conventional, whacky or otherwise....just straight out of the tap. Adam's Ale, Corporation Pop, or if you're in the Smoke, recycled ur*ne!!)

What's that fascinating statistic? Every glass of Hydrogen Hydroxide drunk in London has been drunk by nine people before you??

I thought it was 7 times. 8 or 9 times would just be plain disgusting ;)

There is another statistic that I love: when you drink a glass of water, or any drink, anywhere in the world, most likely that a few of the water molecules in that glass have passed through Julius Caesar. So it doesn't matter where you go, you can't avoid recycled water!

Adam, never mind 8 or nine times being disgusting, some people drink it without sending it to the waste water treatment plant first, if you get my drift. :eek:

Now now, any german practices should be under "Electrics outside of UK". ;)

The latest one I read was this researcher in America proposes that picking your nose and eating what you find improves your immune system... makes sense, I suppose, but I am pretty sure that men picking their noses in traffic jams will still be a staple of stand-up comedians for years to come. :D

It already is!

Desmond Morris noticed how people pick their noses in cars. They see them as a private space, but seem to conveniently forget about the fact the top half of a car is largely made up of a supercooled liquid which is transparent!!

Ok, Ok, you lot !! Back in the box please ..... And, it would seem, most of you are allowed to drive ... the mind boggles !!!

Good fun tho' !!

Stod said:
Just get the pressure up to 3206.2 psi and the water won't boil at all. It turns directly into steam at 374 deg C.
Surely it turns into water vapour, not steam?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back