Additional Sockets From Cooker Switch ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice ? - whether I need to re-think my ideas ?

I have a partition wall with a cooker switch with socket on the kitchen side of the wall.

I want to put a socket in the other side of the partition wall (bedroom) and was thinking abt dropping cabling from the cooker socket down the wall and adding an additional wall socket.

Reason behind this as I would need to wire around 2 solid walls in the bedroom if I was to extend from the wall socket in there ?.

Is this feasible - or am I living in cuckoo land ?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
I would say no, for two reasons:

1. Your cooker outlet is on it's own radial circuit with a maximum rating of, say, 40 amps. By adding a socket (if at full load) you are potentially leaving only 27 amps for the cooker: prone to overload and trip the MCB or blow the fuse.

2. Future occupants of the flat won't necessarily know what you've done: if someone goes to work on that socket they may isolate the socket rings but wouldn't think to isolate the cooker circuit, so that socket would still be live.

ok, thanks - I will refrain from doing this :oops: , have you any other suggestions ?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks all - after investigating I have found a socket further down the wall that I never new I had !! Kitchen cupboard placed in front - yep great design !

So I am just gonna undo it, plaster over the hole and flip it into the bedroom.

Thanks guys.
C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back