Advice needed for poorly finished brickwork and beam installation.

They came through a recommendation from a client few streets down from us. We looked at their job there and it was very well done.

Sponsored Links
Feel for you OP. Hope you get it sorted without too much pain.

Last edited:
We are still in the same place - really hard to find anyone to quote on fixing this and the door installation company say we should fix the beam first otherwise it would be difficult to install it correctly. We originally paid 1000+VAT and the builder has agreed to refund £960 in total. I suppose there is no point taking him to small claims court for £250.

Strange thing is building control approved it though and I wonder whether I should go back to them and check if it is actually safe the way it is.

Everyone that says he will come to quote us is either not showing up or showing up and not producing quotes. we got 7 ppl contacted and only 2 quotes from it and both ppl did not want to write a contract for works nor did they want to present liability insurance. Then they finally were asking for 50% upfront which is again asking for trouble.

We are still in limbo and I lost trust in ppl.

Could be a lot worse to be fair, you’re hardly out of pocket.
I’d be tempted to try and stir up why the building inspector signed that off (for his mate) but probably pointless

Sponsored Links
Yeah hardly out of pocket but the builder knows he screwed big time and probably try to cut damages by offering me sth difficult to reject.

On the other hand from the 2 quotes I received both were much higher than the work we paid so I may need to accept he was a substandard cheap service and move on.

There is a new problem now that of all the quotes that came in everyone insists the beam should be an L profile not an I. They claim it will be much more expensive to do it properly with an I beam and partly the reason is on the below photo.
Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 13.45.01.png

There is almost no brick support above the beam and just a bed of mortar which they refuse to install professionally. For some reason unknown to me the structural engineer has provided this I profile instead of L.

That would cause another application to building control if I contacted them I suppose or another fee with structural engineer unless I went back to him and asked for an L profile.

Could be a lot worse to be fair, you’re hardly out of pocket.
I’d be tempted to try and stir up why the building inspector signed that off (for his mate) but probably pointless
I took independent building control inspection from the council so it was not a private approved one from the builders themselves (they were not mates). I took all the steps to ensure no ****ups and I got one anyway.

Last edited:
Assuming no cracking it's probably structurally ok. Have you considered a bit of render in the style of a mock stone lintel?

This is a real one as although I've seen a fair few (common trick to cover messy lintel replacement) I couldn't find a picture.

You could pack out below the steel with timber covered with cement board to level it and lower it to match the internal lintel height - you might need to avoid top hung doors to be on the safe side.

Screenshot_20240920-153420.png

Thanks cdbe. While it may work in some situations in ours it would draw attention even more and we just want a proper blend in finish as the rest of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back