Roof Battens visable after new tiles laid.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just had a new hip to gable loft conversion and as part of this new battens were laid with new tiles on the existing slope and new lodt extention.

I was just looking out the velux's and looked over to the left where the chimney is and noticed i could see the battens under some rasied tiles.

Could someone advise if this is normal or if something is done wrong and I need them to fix this.

Many thanks in advace.

Attachments

• image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
Hi all, just had a new hip to gable loft conversion and as part of this new battens were laid with new tiles on the existing slope and new lodt extention.

I was just looking out the velux's and looked over to the left where the chimney is and noticed i could see the battens under some rasied tiles.

Could someone advise if this is normal or if something is done wrong and I need them to fix this.

Many thanks in advace.
Jeezus that job looks rough. First glance says where are the soakers? I daren't study the image. :oops:

Jeezus that job looks rough. First glance says where are the soakers? I daren't study the image. :oops:
wow! I wasnt expecting that response! Please see other pictures of the overall roof and plesse let me know your opinion?

Attachments

• PHOTO-2024-06-18-12-49-45 (1).jpg
    PHOTO-2024-06-18-12-49-45 (1).jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 107
  • PHOTO-2024-06-18-12-49-45.jpg
    PHOTO-2024-06-18-12-49-45.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 107
wow! I wasnt expecting that response! Please see other pictures of the overall roof and plesse let me know your opinion?
Looks OK from that angle and some surprising quality.

The back gutter looks rough, as does the finishing (tiles) above. I can't see any soakers though...?

Sponsored Links
Looks OK from that angle and some surprising quality.

The back gutter looks rough, as does the finishing (tiles) above. I can't see any soakers though...?
Thanks for the feedback so far, this one might shed some light, see the purple line i drew to the part that was concerning me, I can see the soakers installed along the chimney breast.

Attachments

• image0 (4).jpeg
    image0 (4).jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 100
Why are they not the same colour as the lead cover flashing directly above them?
Anyways thanks for your help , but I really wanted to know about the raised tiles and the fact I can see the battens underneath

Anyways thanks for your help , but I really wanted to know about the raised tiles and the fact I can see the battens underneath

It's clearly not right and you need to query it. Sorry our resident troll is giving you the runaround, it's how they get their kicks.

Looks like they have used the old lead back gutter behind the chimney which is poor.
The velux instructions clearly state 60-100mm gap at the back of the skylights for drainage.
On yours the tiles look like they are almost touching!

Whilst the back of the chimney is tatty, its probably weathering ok. I'd be more alarmed at the lack of soakers.

It's clearly not right and you need to query it. Sorry our resident troll is giving you the runaround, it's how they get their kicks.
Quit trolling boyo and stick to painting and decorating. You are out clearly of your comfort zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back