Advice on Bathroom Fan and Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some advice on the above please.

Regarding the fan not sure whether to get something that operates on humidity or motion. What are the pros and cons of both please? Does a fan with humidistat fitted just come on when humidity reaches a certain level annd then turn off when the room is cleared or does it come on as soon as it is switched on? Also any particular brands to choose or avoid.

Regarding the lights. I am having a shower niche in my walk in shower and wanted to have it lit. Are there any recommendations for led lights for this or any particular companies that supply this.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Humidity fans don’t detect smells

As for lights, electricity and water - ask the spark on the job

In Europe many bathrooms and toilets do not have windows. They employ extractor fans are designed to be operated by the light switch and run a for a set time when the light is switched off.
I don't know what is available in the UK but if you go into any big DIY shop in Europe they are cheap as chips.

When on holiday never miss the opportunity to have a walk around these places and prepare to be shocked at the vast range of products available many of which never see the light of day over here.

Keep is simple, get an extractor with variable timed override, and a separate isolator

Sponsored Links
Keep is simple, get an extractor with variable timed override, and a separate isolator
Would this need a switch to operate? So would mean an extra switch outside bathroom or only come on when lights are on?
Thanks

Fans can be wired to operate however you want.

You have to decide what you want.

P.S. Is Hampshire no longer in the UK?

Would this need a switch to operate? So would mean an extra switch outside bathroom or only come on when lights are on?
Thanks
Two switches should be enough if the three core is there for a timed override. The isolator is then wired in as an intermediate switch that allows light only. I assume a humistat works off the electronics in the fan wiring via the permanent live so won’t need a switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back