Advice on Bathroom Fan and Lights

In my upstairs bathroom, the fan is humidistat based. I did wire it so that I could flick a FCU if I wanted to get rid of smells. It works pretty well with regards to humidity.

The fan in the downstairs bathroom is an Icon 60 which has both a PIR and humidisat sensor. The IR is annoying if you only pop in for a pee though.

I went down that path because I figured that anyone showering during the day time would not turn on a light activated fan.
Is there a setting to delay the start on PIR?

Sponsored Links
Regarding the fan not sure whether to get something that operates on humidity or motion. What are the pros and cons of both please? Does a fan with humidistat fitted just come on when humidity reaches a certain level annd then turn off when the room is cleared or does it come on as soon as it is switched on?

That type of fan is triggered by motion, and/or humidity, and include a timer, idea is - once triggered, they remain on for a period of time, after what ever triggered is, is no longer triggering it. Some can also include, as does mine, the option to be triggered, and remain on, whilst ever the light is on too, though I thought it unnecessary, and didn't bother connecting that.

When you walk in the bathroom it turns on, then remains on for the 20 minutes I set.

If you have a bath or shower, the humidity in the room increases, that then causes the fan to stay on, until the humidity reduces, plus 20 minutes extra after it has cleared.

As it is not possible to walk into the bathroom without triggering the fan, and you would want it to run whether you needed the light or not, it works just fine.

Unfortunately not. I wish that there was a delay. Open the door and the fan "sees" you, then it kicks in.

Same fan here, and mine does the same - I don't see it as a problem, because the fan is near silent in operation. It's better than the alternative, of someone forgetting to turn the fan on.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately not. I wish that there was a delay. Open the door and the fan "sees" you, then it kicks in.
Shame, we fitted some PIRs in an office block to control a common fan for half a dozen floors worth of toilets and set them for something like 1 minute delay on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back