another Oven + Hob questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im going to be redoing the kitchen at the end of the month.

the only electrical changes im making are to the oven and hob.

its a double oven and the total load is 4.6kw
the hobs load is 6.5kw

so a total of 11.1kw

1) Am i right in thinking i will need a 10mm cable from the consumer unit to a cooker switch?

2) So i will have 1 10mm cable going ot the cooker switch and 2 10mm cables coming out, one to either appliance?

3) Instead of using a 10mm cable to each appliance could i use 2 6mm (one to each)?

4) Will a 40a mcb be ok or should i use a 50a?

last questions.
5) Should put it on the rcd sid eor the non rcd side?

thanks in advance
chris

Sponsored Links
1) Am i right in thinking i will need a 10mm cable from the consumer unit to a cooker switch?

Nobody can answer that without knowing the length of the cable and the installation method. How far from the CU to the oven/hob? Will the cable be in the wall, under loft insulation, in trunking, clipped on the wall...?

2) So i will have 1 10mm cable going ot the cooker switch and 2 10mm cables coming out, one to either appliance?

Good luck fitting that many 10mmsq cables into the backbox and terminals. A better solution would be for you to run separate radial circuits back to the CU for the oven and hob, each with their own MCB and local isolation switch. 11kW is a large combined load, and whatever protective device you choose will only offer limited protection to each individual appliance in an overcurrent situation.

3) Instead of using a 10mm cable to each appliance could i use 2 6mm (one to each)?

That would make much more sense, but once again that's impossible to answer without knowing cable length and installation method.

4) Will a 40a mcb be ok or should i use a 50a?

If you don't know the answer to that question then perhaps that should be a wake up call to tell you that you shouldn't be carrying out this work. You do realise that said work is notifiable under part P of the building regulations, and for you to carry it out yourself would be illegal? You'll probably find that's why nobody else has answered your question yet. I seriously suggest you consider getting in a qualified electrician to carry out this work.

That aside, @230v a 40A breaker is designed for a maximum load of 9,200w, a 50A breaker will be happy up to 11,500w.

last questions.
5) Should put it on the rcd sid eor the non rcd side?

The non-RCD side is favoured because electric ovens and hobs have can develop relatively high earth leakage currents over time.

thanks for the reaply.

1)i was meant to add that the cable will be 11m long and it will be under the floor then buried in the wall for about 1ft before going into the back of the patress

2)so i would be better of running 2 6mm cables from the CU one for each.

3)might change then etc

4)will be different if i use 2 seperate supplies. each would be on 32a breaker (2 breakers in total).

5)thanks

thanks for the reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back