Anyone on here still pay roaming charges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There was a thread on here but someone had it locked. As above, anyone still paying them? I know there was a certain amount of glee for some people when they were reintroduced after Brexit but as I said at the time, business wins through every time. I was reminded of that thread only this morning when I recieved an email from my airtime provider. Not bad if you want the Three network. Many other offer it now too. Din't know what all the fuss/glee was about.

IMG_2013.png
IMG_2014.jpeg

IMG_6630.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don’t they limit the Gb data and the number of days it is free in a given period

Don’t they limit the Gb data and the number of days it is free in a given period
"Roaming is a feature that comes as standard on all iD Mobile phone and SIM only plans, allowing customers to use their UK monthly allowances of minutes, text and data (up to 30GB) in 50 destinations worldwide. So you can browse, chat, text and stream just like you would at home".

More than enough. (y)

As a three customer for as long as I've had my own mobile phone, there is a reason that they're cheap.

Coverage is very patchy.

Sponsored Links
I find ID has good coverage. If you don’t, you could always try one of the others that use the other three major networks. They all offer inclusive roaming. Something we were supposed to lose when we left the EU.

"Roaming is a feature that comes as standard on all iD Mobile phone and SIM only plans, allowing customers to use their UK monthly allowances of minutes, text and data (up to 30GB) in 50 destinations worldwide. So you can browse, chat, text and stream just like you would at home".

More than enough. (y)
Yes I'm SIM only and was limited when using it in Europe. It was the first time Id ever gone near to the limit

Yes I'm SIM only and was limited when using it in Europe. It was the first time Id ever gone near to the limit
I never go anywhere near my limit. I’m on 20Gb per month and any unused data rolls over. Last month I used….0Gb so the whole lot rolled over.

IMG_2025.jpeg

EE were sending me texts that said I could use my plan text and minutes in Europe the same as if I was at home. So I did and got hit with a load of charges for roaming. I phoned and complained, then got an apologetic message from them saying they were wrong to send the texts, and there were in fact charges for using abroad - they however refunded the charges. So I phoned up EE to find out what the charges are for roaming only to be told there aren't any. It's a complete nightmare - they don't seem to have a clue what they're doing.

This article is a year old so some details may be out of date -

I just cough up extra for a week or whatever, as soon as I turn my flight mode off and the messages start pinging from the provider. I dread to think what my bill is going to be this month, with my son on holiday abroad. :oops:

O2 are making big bones about offering roaming for free, but only in Europe. Others limit the places you get free roaming, the amount of data you get and the length of time you can get it for.

You can't roam for free with Smarty (an MVNO like iD, piggy-backing off Three) in NZ and they limit the amount of data and number of days you can use the service.

Re NZ, we just got a local Sparks SIM card each which was pre-loaded and expired after 30 days.

This took some finding as when you Google NZ tourist or visitor SIMs, you get directed towards a very expensive deal with a very small amount of data.

Apart from some French dependant islands in the Caribbean, I don’t think any of the providers give inclusive roaming outside the EU for 'standard' plans unless you are on one of their special tariffs which normally cost a lot more.

Here’s a current list of what’s what for those that are interested. Some on here would be best not to look in case it upsets them. ;)

They all offer inclusive roaming. Something we were supposed to lose when we left the EU.
Most of them require the purchase of one of the plans.
A very few offer inclusive roaming.
The argument was always that roaming would not be free anymore, after Brexit.
Now 8 years after Brexit there are one or two providers offering to provide free roaming for an unlimited time.
most are time limited, and once roaming is withdrawn, they require an extended period (sometimes 3 months) back in the UK before roaming is again available.

I wouldn't call that a Brexit bonus. Many people have paid additional fees over the last few years. Others have had to search for a work-around.

I have an old phone which can't accommodate multiple SIMs, so I use a device from SIMore which accommodates the use of up to 4 SIMs.
Three in the SIMore device and one in the actual phone.

if your phone accommodates multiple SIMS, the easiest and cheapest work-around is an additional local SIM.

BUT, ensure the provider will continue to provide the service when they become aware that you are using multiple SIMs in your phone.
They may ask for ID evidence to protect themselves.
The use of multiple SIMS and/or multiple phones is a practice employed by criminals.

Most of them require the purchase of one of the plans.
Err, EVERY phone contract requires the purchase of a plan.
A very few offer inclusive roaming.
I take it you didn’t bother looking at the link I provided.
Now 8 years after Brexit there are one or two providers offering to provide free roaming for an unlimited time.
Take it you didn’t bother looking at the link I provided. You never could roam for an unlimited time before Brexit.
I wouldn't call that a Brexit bonus.
Neither would I because we had it before Brexit and we still have it after Brexit so I wouldn’t call it a Brexit loss either.
Others have had to search for a work-around.

if your phone accommodates multiple SIMS, the easiest and cheapest work-around is an additional local SIM.
That’s not exactly 'inclusive roaming' on your existing U.K. mobile number is it and if you do, you will pay heavily to phone home and others will pay heavily to call you.

Err, EVERY phone contract requires the purchase of a plan.
Not for pre-paid SIMs.
I didn't start using roaming yesterday.
Take it you didn’t bother looking at the link I provided. You never could roam for an unlimited time before Brexit.
You could. I did.
Neither would I because we had it before Brexit and we still have it after Brexit so I wouldn’t call it a Brexit loss either.
Since Brexit all UK providers charged for roaming. Some have started to offer roaming as a part of a package. And you pay for what you want or need.
I didn't start using roaming yesterday, and it's not limited to Europe. And it, as you said, only applies to EU. (But that's always been the case.)
That’s not exactly 'inclusive roaming' on your existing U.K. mobile number is it and if you do, you will pay heavily to phone home and others will pay heavily to call you.
You pay for using your phone whatever the circumstances. The objective is to reduce the cost. it isn't possible to remove the cost entirely.
With multiple SIMs, you can select which SIM you use for each application. But they're all live for incoming texts or calls.

You sir, are talking out of your arse! Read the link I posted, count the number of providers and tell us how many there are. It’s more than "a very few".

Sponsored Links
Back