Armoured cable to outbuilding needs moving - requirements?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We had a garden office built a couple of years back and it seems the electicians laid the armoured cable in the hedge separating us and they neighbour's properties (see photos). The neighbours have since cut back they're side of the hedge and it appears the cable has been laid on their side of the bushes and are understandably asking for it to be moved.
I plan on getting in touch with the installers so they can move it, but I am a bit lost as to whether they were within regs to just lay it in the hedge like they have. Obviously it shouldn't be on the neighbours side and ideally it should be buried in a trench and filled. However, all I can find are references to "best practice" or "recommended" rather than any definate regulations. I'm not looking for something to beat them over the head with, but at the same time I'm a bit miffed that it has been done like this and I feel is pretty unprofessional, and I think they should rectify it.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• PXL_20240610_120216060.jpg
    PXL_20240610_120216060.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20240610_120242431.jpg
    PXL_20240610_120242431.jpg
    879.2 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Visible cable is a lot harder to hit with something that will destroy it than hidden cable?

You might struggle to bury it at the hedge line, with the roots in the way; are you up for a trench straight across the garden? Is there another visible route such as nailed to a fence?

Attached to a fence isn’t really a sensible option given that fences don’t last long these days

Sponsored Links
IIRC BS7671 says that buried cables should be buried deep enough that they are out of the way of any reasonablly forseable disturbance to the ground, but doesn't specify a specific depth. Utility standards say that cables should be burried at 450mm in footways and verges and 600mm in the road.

I don't think it explicitly says anything about just throwing a cable in the bushes, but the obvious risk to me is that equipment used to cut the bushes may come into contact with the cable.

I doubt a hedge trimmer will cut through SWA, but it may well do enough damage to allow water ingress and start the armour rusting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back