ASDA PAYG top up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my estimated £5 credit stolen on Three. The indian man said he would email me VAT receipt because it had some sort of usage data on it. But nothing turned up. So, I have switched to ASDA. Has anyone experience of ASDA pay as you go? What isn't clear to me is if there is a mandatory top up requirement? Some places say yes, while other places say no. I know I have to use the mobile once every 180 days to not lose the number. Do I have to top up once every 180 days if I still have unused credits? I am an intermittent user that uses the mobile in bursts. So the risk of losing my number is a major concern.

Sponsored Links
I do understand your question but don't have the answer.

But... slightly off at a tangent but possibly relevant... I used to do the same but found that because I ended up with a network that had high call and data costs, the result was that I actually ended up paying more per year for my bursts of occasional use than I would if I got a decent ongoing tariff with lots of usage available (most of which I don't use).

I'm currently with Lebara, which is via Vodafone's network and pay £4.50 per month. But this includes 3GB of data, 1000 minutes of calls and a load of other stuff I never get close to using. But I'm still paying less than I used to pay for my occasional bursts of use with EE. Plus it's basically unlimited, and I really like having an always-on connection that I don't have to worry about.

My OH uses hers even less, and she has a lower ongoing tariff with 1p Mobile that costs £30 per year. This is more limited for data but still enough for her, and it includes unlimited calls.

Also, as a result of us both now having unlimited (or near enough) outgoing calls, we cancelled the £5/month calls package we used to pay for the landline and we don't use it for outgoing calls any more, as we both use our mobiles. So the saving on the landline calls covers a major chunk of our mobile bills, probably more now as I guess it would be more than £5/month these days.

All you need to do to keep the SIM (and your number) active is send a text within the timeframe they specify.

I was recently warned that my (spare) PAYG would expire because not used for 6 months, and I had to top it up.

I quibbled and they said a £1 top up would do.

I've now made a diary note to use it every three months.

I've found that older people often have a phone "for emergencies" and never turn it on.

P.s.
The spare one is Asda, and they have a £5 minimum topup (waived, see above)

Sponsored Links
I quibbled and they said a £1 top up would do.

Pretty sure you can top up just a quid on Asda mobiles. I’m sure I did that on them in the past when I've used them to port mine and Mrs Motties numbers to them when leaving and rejoining the three network to get cashback and new-member deals.

Edit: Yep, it was a quid a time;

ED94C335-8BB3-4CE1-ABB3-19869D61445D.jpeg

7A0974CE-A0A2-4314-B356-94451FAC0346.jpeg

Last edited:
I am not worried about the minimum amount for top up. But, whether the credits in the account is lost after 180 days. This appears to be the case according to ASDA:

Does my top-up expire?​

For your account credit to remain active you must top-up or purchase a bundle within 180 days of activating your account (i.e. when you first made a call, sent a text or used data) or your last top-up or bundle purchase.

After 180 days without topping-up or purchasing a bundle your account will become restricted and you won't be able to make calls, send texts or use data, however you will still be able to receive inbound calls and texts.

The current minimum top up is £5. This is acceptable. But it would not be acceptable if the credit disappears for no reason suddenly just when I need it.

What isn't clear to me is if there is a mandatory top up requirement?

Might you be better on a contract? Lots of cheap sim only contracts, which don't cost much, in fact cheaper than landline calls. Mine is £6 per month, unlimited calls and texts, with 6Gb. Landline for unlimited would be much more - so I make all calls on my mobile.

Might you be better on a contract? Lots of cheap sim only contracts, which don't cost much, in fact cheaper than landline calls. Mine is £6 per month, unlimited calls and texts, with 6Gb. Landline for unlimited would be much more - so I make all calls on my mobile.
Nope. ASDA wants 2 top up's a year. That £10 a year. The cheapest contract deal is 4.5 x 12 = £54 a year. I only need mobile for special events and activities that occur on a random basis. Giving me1 billion minutes free is no use because I don't like charging batteries - except the non-attended car battery charging.

No, it just adds to your balance.
You haven't been with them long enough to know this. What I really want to know is if I have credits, do I still need to top up, assuming I make 1 token call/text every 180 days?

You haven't been with them long enough to know this.
Try putting a fiver's worth of credit on day 179 to satisfy your curiosity. If you lose any previous credit, I’ll make good your loss. (y)

What I really want to know is if I have credits, do I still need to top up, assuming I make 1 token call/text every 180 days?
No.

Last edited:
Try putting a fiver's worth of credit on day 179 to satisfy your curiosity. If you lose any previous credit, I’ll make good your loss. (y)
Makes more sense to not top up on day 179, but make call on day 179, and see if the existing credits disappear.

The ASDA balance check via text is handy, I will have a log of the credits.

The text message I got from ASDA said:

"As you've not used your phone for 180 days it's been restricted, after 90 more days it will be suspended and any remaining balance will be removed. To reactivate, top-up or call us free on 0808 006 2732 to speak to one of the team."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back