Bathroom extractor suggestions...

Yes, we both new that the gaseous form of water is invisible - You calling it only water vapour, me calling it only steam
True, but if I were talking about the (invisible unless coloured) gaseous phase of any substance that was normally thought of in its solid or liquid phase I would usually use the same form of terminology - e.g. "petrol vapour", "solvent vapour" etc., wouldn't you?
but... ...I thought clouds were water vapour and you thought they were steam.
Well, I knew (not just thought) that clouds consisted of suspended droplets of (liquid) water, and that the same was true of the visible 'steam' one sees coming out of a kettle, saucepan or cooling tower, or in one's bathroom.

I have to say that, despite the Wikipedia, I still don't think I can recall having seen or heard anyone referring to invisible gas-phase water as 'steam' - but perhaps "I haven't lived"!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes, we both new that the gaseous form of water is invisible - You calling it only water vapour, me calling it only steam
True, but if I were talking about the (invisible unless coloured) gaseous phase of any substance that was normally thought of in its solid or liquid phase I would usually use the same form of terminology - e.g. "petrol vapour", "solvent vapour" etc., wouldn't you?
I shall now.

Well, I knew (not just thought) that clouds consisted of suspended droplets of (liquid) water, and that the same was true of the visible 'steam' one sees coming out of a kettle, saucepan or cooling tower, or in one's bathroom.
But I maintain they are not steam; steam is invisible.

I have to say that, despite the Wikipedia, I still don't think I can recall having seen or heard anyone referring to invisible gas-phase water as 'steam' - but perhaps "I haven't lived"!
It depends how much the language has evolved.

There are websites supporting us both and mixtures of both.
I.e water vapour is the same as steam and so visible.
American differences ???

If the majority of people voted to abolish democracy, what would happen?

I shall now.
Fair enough.
..the visible 'steam' one sees coming out of a kettle, saucepan or cooling tower, or in one's bathroom.
But I maintain they are not steam; steam is invisible.
Yes, I realise that is your position - but where does this actually come from - your own experience of language or 'just' the Wikipedia and dictionaries? Is this perhaps a situation in which nearly all usage of the word is technically 'wrong' (in which case one could argue that the dictionaries should get updated, so as to reflect the actual use of language)? ... are you really used to hearing people talking about 'steam' when there are NOT referring to something which is visible? As I said, I certainly am not - and nor was that what I was brought up with during my scientific education.

Kind Regards, John

Same as you, that's what I was taught.

I don't know why I thought the visible was water vapour.

I can't/haven't found anywhere calling a cloud steam.
Looking at further sites I don't think anyone knows which is which any longer.

Sponsored Links
I can't/haven't found anywhere calling a cloud steam.
Same here ... but nor did I say that it was - I merely said that, like clouds and fog, what I call (and was taught to call) 'steam' consists of droplets of liquid water suspended in air - NOT what I would call (and was taught to call) 'water vapour' (i.e. gaseous-phase water).

Kind Regards, John

what do you call the stuff that water turns into when it boils, and is not visible, and can be superheated, that drives generator turbines and old locomotive engines?

what do you call the stuff that water turns into when it boils, and is not visible, and can be superheated, that drives generator turbines and old locomotive engines?
Yes, I was thinking about that earlier, and hence have been waiting for someone to raise it! As you imply, we would usually call it 'steam', even though that is contrary to the concepts and conventions I was taught. The whole situation is more confused and complicated than I had thought.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back