Been a bit stupid I think :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill a hole through the outside wall of the garage, about 1" diameter.

Some years ago, I bought a cheap (but quite big and brutal) SDS drill from SF. I didn't need the drill, but it also had a chisel action, which I used to dig out the concrete base of a rotary clothes line I wanted rid of. Did a decent job too.

However... I started drilling, got about an inch into the wall, and the bit jammed. This happened so quickly that the body of the drill spun round before I could lift my finger off the trigger, and hit me hard on the forehead.

Blood everywhere, and very painful. Please don't tell me to get to A&E - here in NI, the NHS barely exists now, and I'd face a wait of 12-14 hours in awful conditions. Don't think I'm badly injured - sitting here with a big plaster on my head :rolleyes:

Thing is... what did I do wrong? When I'm feeling better, I want to give it another go. I'll keep my head out of the way next time, but how do I stop it happening again?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Most SDS drills have a slipping clutch. The torque tolerances seem to vary a lot though. I purchased a £70 Titan from Screwfix and one day the clutch kicked in. I didn't even know that it had one. With respect... it might be the case that you were not securing the drill properly. Sorry, I am not intentionally being condescending. I have made the the same mistake in the past.

Whilst drilling, pulling the bit back out of the hole will often help. It enables the waste material to exit.

Hope your head is better.

After my A'levels, I spent 6 months working for a lift engineering firm. On day one, the fitter explained that when drilling through steel the bit will grab as it is about to exit. This was the late 80's, the drills didn't have any kind of clutch. He told me to make sure that if the drill span around, I need to make sure that my wrist will not be hit.

As @foxhole said, drilling a smaller hole first would be advisable. Additionally, it will reduce breakout in the face of the plaster or brickwork. Once you drill the smaller hole, you will then be able to drill from both sides and minimise any brakeout (in the brick face or plaster) .

Sponsored Links
1725475794505.png

Well, I DID read the manual before using, honest. But I must have missed this bit :mad:

Anyway, looks like it does have a clutch - I just wasn't expecting the enormous force...

I purchased a £70 Titan from Screwfix and one day the clutch kicked in. I didn't even know that it had one. With respect... it might be the case that you were not securing the drill properly. Sorry, I am not intentionally being condescending. I have made the the same mistake in the past.
That's the very machine that hit me :LOL:

Agree with everything you say :notworthy:

Consolation is that I can't remember the last time I hurt myself, in decades of DIY, so I mustn't be completely thick. Sadly getting on a bit now though, so maybe my judgement is no longer up to scratch...

Did you use the additional handle that comes with all/most drills?

Not a proper construction worker anyway until you have been smacked in the face by a big drill. :LOL:

Use half that size and instead of just keep going withdraw now and again to help get rid of the bits of debris.

Not a proper construction worker anyway until you have been smacked in the face by a big drill.
Ha ha, thanks :ROFLMAO: I needed that.

Funny though, I don't think I've ever drilled anything like a 1" hole in brick - or used a big SDS drill to drill anything.

What you say about not doing it all in one go seems kind of obvious now :notworthy:

When I've stopped bleeding, I'll get as far as possible with my old faithful B&D 1980's hammer drill and a ¼" bit, then work gradually up from there!

10 + years ago I did what you did up a ladder - wasn't injured but very very lucky, literally landed on my feet

what power was your SDS ? the 2000 watt ones you really have to brace yourself and keep a good hold of them, mine doesn't have a clutch and I have stalled it without it ripping from my hands

2000w is the best part of 3 horse power!

Buy yourself a £500 + drill and you can do it in one go, but with a very cheap version its best to be realistic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back