Brother's Sky Glass Is A Complete Pain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First have to say I would never entertain such extravagance of paying for Satellite tv myself. Too much of a temptation to vegetate in from of the 1,000s of channels - even though I often find there's still nothing worth watching on them. Been staying at my brother's for a few days of cat sitting and using his new Sky Glass tv which seems very clunky and user unfriendly. His original Sky box was much easier and quicker to use. What I've found -

Like going back to The 70s, sometimes the tv takes up to three minutes to warm up with the little buffering circle being displayed while it does it's thing. Have to make sure you start up early so as not to miss beginning of programme. Suppose that's the downside of being an internet, not dish, based system.

None of the Sky channel numbers in the Daily Mail, etc tv guide match the Glass's channel numbers any more. So if I see a programme in a tv guide, punching the channel number quoted in the guide either gets you a completely different channel or nothing at all. Have to manually scroll through the Glass guide to find the channel. All the plus one hour channels have gone too, so if you want to watch something just after it was originally on, you have to sift through menus, etc and try and find it on catchup somewhere.

No easy access to the Glass's tv guide. On the old Sky box remote there was a button that took you straight to the tv guide listings. Now it's press the little house symbol 'home' page, scroll down to 'TV LISTINGS', press right a bit, scroll down a bit more, press right again, then down again - or something similar. Just to get something essential that's used a lot.

Keeps switching itself off if you don't touch the remote for an hour. A right pain if you're watching something lengthy like a film and it suddenly switches off because you were too slow to see the brief warning. :mad: Suppose this is to keep the tree huggers happy.

No facility to record anything. Would it have been too much to include some memory - I'm guessing the tv wasn't cheap to buy.

Way too bright. Had to turn the brightness from 50 down to 10 as the glare was hurting my eyes.

The thing is huge and bulky. Imagine it must take two to lift safely. It's not very energy efficient either.

There are other lesser annoyances with it. Am I doing anything wrong, or are these things really that bad and designed to be difficult to use when all you want to do is relax? Maybe I don't understand the thing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Considered this when buying a new TV, but discounted it because it wasn't discounted!

Far too expensive with very few features.

Keeps switching itself off if you don't touch the remote for an hour. A right pain if you're watching something lengthy like a film and it suddenly switches off because you were too slow to see the brief warning.

I think I have found the answer to this bit. It's a motion detection thing. Can be turned off. Otherwise make some movements to stop it happening. Maybe try eating a cheese sandwich.

1725024513386.png

Like going back to The 70s, sometimes the tv takes up to three minutes to warm up with the little buffering circle being displayed while it does it's thing. Have to make sure you start up early so as not to miss beginning of pragramme.

It's probably an eco standby setting. There will probably be an option to use more power in standby to make it quicker.

Sponsored Links
None of the Sky channel numbers in the Daily Mail, etc tv guide match the Glass's channel numbers any more. So if I see a programme in a tv guide, punching the channel number quoted in the guide either gets you a completely different channel or nothing at all. Have to manually scroll through the Glass guide to find the channel.

Sky Glass might have different numbers to Sky satellite.

The last few TVs I bought had numerous connections on the back, including USB sockets where you can plug in a stick or disk to record.

There is also video on demand where you can call up and watch a program you missed. Surely it has that?
Mine does it via Internet connection.

Your brother is paying for overpriced crap tv system.
Not much you can do unless you convince him to ditch it ,

Like going back to The 70s, sometimes the tv takes up to three minutes to warm up with the little buffering circle being displayed while it does it's thing. Have to make sure you start up early so as not to miss beginning of pragramme. Suppose that's the downside of being an internet, not dish, based system.
That's probably more to do with the TV operating system. It has to load and do stuff before the TV is ready to use. Sony's Android TVs always used to seem to take forever to start. Turn the TV on, go get a beer, come back, noodle on your phone for a while, and Oh! It's finally ready.
None of the Sky channel numbers in the Daily Mail, etc tv guide match the Glass's channel numbers any more.
Moving swiftly past the 'Daily Mail' comment, the channel listing is different because not all of the channels available via on Sky's satellite service also have an internet mirror service.
Have to manually scroll through the Glass guide to find the channel.
They're hoping the customers will use voice search
All the plus one hour channels have gone too, so if you want to watch something just after it was originally on, you have to sift through menus, etc and try and find it on catchup somewhere.
The entire Glass system is TV via the Internet. It's all on demand, even the channels that look 'live'. They're all being streamed.

Since all is streamed on demand, then there isn't a need for the +1 channels.

No facility to record anything. Would it have been too much to include some memory - I'm guessing the tv wasn't cheap to buy.
Again, their idea is 'why record when everything is available on demand?'

When the idea was first broached, Sky via Internet seemed like a solid proposition. There are lots of places where, for one reason or another, access to a dish or permission to install one isn't an option. When they launched it though as a service tied to a Sky TV, I thought they're really shot themselves in the foot. Loads of people with high-end OLED and LED TVs aren't going to suddenly junk those sets for Sky's rather mediocre TVs.

About a year after Glass launched, Sky came out with the Glass service but in a standalone box. This is the Sky Stream device. That's what they should have done first time around.

Considered this when buying a new TV, but discounted it because it wasn't discounted!

Far too expensive with very few features.

You're right. After reading your comment I looked up the price, because he paid for the tv outright (yes, I know - more money than sense! :rolleyes: ). Anyway, his 55 incher is just under a grand. :oops::oops::oops:

And I don't even think the picture is as good as on his previous Sony Bravia.

Last edited:
Sky Glass might have different numbers to Sky satellite.

Yes, defintely has. Hoping that publishers of paper based tvs add the Glass channels nos, because looking through a paper tv guide is far quicker and easier than navigating screen menus and guides. Plus I can mark anything I want to watch with a piece of defunct tech known as a 'Biro'.

Your brother is paying for overpriced crap tv system.
Not much you can do unless you convince him to ditch it ,

Luckily I'm not living there permanently, otherwise the Glass would poss send me to the pub more often. He wanted, the large screen for sport, but could have just got something much cheaper and just used it with a Sky box. I think he rushed in. Yes, more money than sense.

Moving swiftly past the 'Daily Mail' comment,

The entire Glass system is TV via the Internet. It's all on demand, even the channels that look 'live'. They're all being streamed.

Since all is streamed on demand, then there isn't a need for the +1 channels.

Thought I would highlight my use of the DM tv guide, just for effect. ;)

Unfortunately the on demand and catchup doesn't always work properly. Last night I was watching a great film on 'WATCH FROM THE BEGINNING' (Blood And Money) because it was already three quarters of the way through the live, scheduled showing when I started. Anyway, got half way through watching the film and it suddenly seized up. Fast forwarding, playing, rewinding, play again, tried stopping it, then pressing play. Whatever I did it would rewind to some ads, then refuse to resume showing the film. So I tried searching for the film and only way to start it again from beginning was pay £5 on the streaming service. I couldn't go back to the live tv showing of the film and ask to watch from the beginning again, because it was by now already finished.

I was not impressed at all!! :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back