Brother's Sky Glass Is A Complete Pain

Must be ancient dvd they typically have hdmi .

Thanks. I haven't looked. Perhaps it has an HDMI as well.

Or poss there's such a thing as an HDMI to scart adapter.

EDIT>>>

Yes, they're available.

Sponsored Links
And yet another downside - no scart socket on the Glass tv. So the dvd player sits unused and unloved in the corner.
I'd be amazed if you could find SCART on any recent LED or OLED TV 32" or bigger, so it's not just Glass but virtually all TVs.

The last time it was relatively common is when we had Plasma and before LCD TVs went thinner with the advent of LED backlighting.

If there's a collection of DVDs gathering dust then a s/h Panasonic Blu-ray player could be just the ticket. This is a better solution than those SCART-to-HDMI convertors. Those things are no better than connecting the composite (yellow) video connector direct to the TV.

Or poss there's such a thing as an HDMI to scart adapter.

EDIT>>>

Yes, they're available.

That's the wrong way around. It's for a DVD player with HDMI to work with at TV that has SCART. Your brother's Glass doesn't have SCART.

I'd be amazed if you could find SCART on any recent LED or OLED TV 32" or bigger, so it's not just Glass but virtually all TVs.

The last time it was relatively common is when we had Plasma and before LCD TVs went thinner with the advent of LED backlighting.

If there's a collection of DVDs gathering dust then a s/h Panasonic Blu-ray player could be just the ticket. This is a better solution than those SCART-to-HDMI convertors. Those things are no better than connecting the composite (yellow) video connector direct to the TV.

Thanks for the info. Are you saying a scart to HDMI connector will affect the quality and not be worthwhile? Brother's previous Sony Bravia had a scart, but yes, it seems they're now out of fashion.

Sponsored Links
Couple more glitches I found with the Glass yesterday. One programme I was watching on a Sky channel at the programme's scheduled broadcast time had the sound and picture out of sync by a good 30 seconds.

Later I was watching a programme where I had pressed 'watch the programme from the beginning' because when I started to watch it, the programme on already been on a while from it's scheduled start time. So I started it from the beginning and was watching it, when approx half way through I left the room and came back 2 mins later. In that time, the programme had decided to start again from the beginning for some reason.

Don't know if anyone else has problems with their Glass, but it is riddled with small faults and other factors that make it very user unfriendly and a complete pain when all you want to do is vegetate in front of the tv watching something. Beginning to make my 12 year old Acer desktop look ultra reliable. :unsure:

And yet another downside - no scart socket on the Glass tv. So the dvd player sits unused and unloved in the corner.
You can get dvd to scart connectors. We have a 20+ year old B&O plasma. It only has scart, so I had to buy a DVD to HDMI connector in order to use the Amazon Fire stick.

Edit---- sorry I typed this yesterday and only just hit "post"

We have a 20+ year old B&O plasma.

That was a great investment.

Parents bought a 26" B&O colour tv in early 70s. The picture quality was way ahead of the other colour tvs at the time. It did get the occasional visit from the B&O repair man with his case of tools and soldering gun. However it lasted 25 years until the tube went.

I may be wrong, but looks like other manufacturers, Jap, etc have come on so much that you don't need to pay B&O money for great picture and sound quality any more. Just avoid Glass. ;)

Thanks for the info. Are you saying a scart to HDMI connector will affect the quality and not be worthwhile? Brother's previous Sony Bravia had a scart, but yes, it seems they're now out of fashion.

I'm saying that, at best, a SCART to HDMI convertor is no different to plugging in the yellow composite connector to the TV's AV (composite) connection. It just costs more money and uses up a HDMI socket that might be better used for something else.

You see, the picture from SCART has the potential to be very good. Although limited to standard definition (576i), the RGB output option from SCART gives an incredibly clean signal. The three colours are entirely separate, so there's no colour-mixing cross contamination as you get with composite. Also, the three colours are full video bandwidth rather than being bandwidth limited as they are in composite, S-video, and component video. RGB from SCART is the top-of-the-pile as far as SD interlaced goes.

The issue with the SCART-to-HDMI adapters is that they do not use RGB. They use the lowest signal quality that SCART makes available. They use the composite output, same as the yellow video connector on the back of a DVD player.

Composite video is a single connection, not three as in RGB or Component. One wire has to carry everything in the picture data. The colours are combined, and once combined, they can't be separated out again perfectly. Imagine a bowl of yogurt and some bowls of fruit, say blueberries and raspberries. Once mixed, it's impossible to then separate out the three constituents perfectly. There'll always be some yogurt on the fruit, and stains from the fruit in the yogurt.

In a video system, we call this cross-colour distortion, or dot crawl. You see it most noticeably where there are adjacent blocks of solid colours such as titles or onscreen menus, but it's everywhere there are abrupt colour boundaries. RGB doesn't do this.

1725196006619.png

In your brother's case the whole thing is moot. His TV has really limited input options.

There are just 3x HDMI inputs on the 65" TV. There's a USB input too, but that's no use for the direct composite feed from a DVD player. In that situation, your options are either to buy the damned SCART-to-HDMI adapter and just put up with the crappy picture, or to swap out for a disc player with a HDMI output because that's going to preserve the picture quality far better.

DVD players with HDMI out are available. Since DVD is generally viewed as a bit 'old hat' by the public, then the quality of the players leaves something to be desired. But they are available, and fairly cheap. They're just somewhat limited to DVD only.

A better option is a Blu-ray player. This will still play DVDs but also opens up the possibility to play 1080p Blu-rays too. The difference the extra resolution off disc makes on a 55~75 TV is not small. Get a decent BD player and they'll make a pretty good job with DVD too.

New BD players are available, and with a bigger range choice than is the case with simple DVD players. Second-hand is also an option. The £40 you might spend on a Sony upscaling (HDMI out) DVD player could very well get you a much better used Panasonic Blu-ray player. That's a much smarter buy. Used Blu-ray discs are getting really cheap too. A good film on Blu-ray looks better than the 4K version from streaming.

That's the correct way round for your cat-sitting needs. One observation, this unit also scales the image to 720p or 1080p. If you're serious about buying one, try to find something that keeps the resolution as-is.

All TVs have a built-in scaler. They have to because a TV can see a wide array of signal resolutions. It doesn't need the DVD image scaling before it gets it. HDMI can handle SD 576i, and even as low as 480i. Scaling is better done once, within the TV, than making it a two-stage process.

That was a great investment.

Parents bought a 26" B&O colour tv in early 70s. The picture quality was way ahead of the other colour tvs at the time. It did get the occasional visit from the B&O repair man with his case of tools and soldering gun. However it lasted 25 years until the tube went.

I may be wrong, but looks like other manufacturers, Jap, etc have come on so much that you don't need to pay B&O money for great picture and sound quality any more. Just avoid Glass. ;)

The B&O plasma was haggled down to £10k at the time (from £12k)- she additionally purchased the subwoofer/etc . It is a silly amount of money for a tv, but I once sat down, and on the back of a fag packet, I worked out how much it coat per hour it was quite reasonable given how old it is. The tv has been absolutely fine from day one. The laser on the CD player had to be replaced at a cost of about £300- ouch.

My 2014 Samsung 48" LED had a scart socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back