Cable quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would an electrician ever test a cable's insulation before installation ?
I am sure insulation testing is carried out by manufacturer, but from the point of view that no manufacturing final inspection procedures are foolproof ... I wonder how much, if any, cable fails due to manufacturing errors ?
P

Sponsored Links
You might be suprised to know that there are the odd failures. I'm a wholesaler and what we have found is that, normal day to day we have no problem whatsover. But then you can have a batch problem and all the cable supplied is sent back.

Back in the days when we supplied the cheapest we could find there was problems. Cable was brought in from Poland and distributed by a large national cable supplier (who shall remain namless) which gave big problems. There were hot spots in the cable, uneven sheath, didnt want to strip, everything.

Since then things have improved, there has been the odd cable stripping problem but as for the safety of the insulation I'd say it was pretty safe.

As part of issueing a NICIEC installation certificate a electrician has to perform a mega ohm insulation test.

Thanks for that ...
I was in aerospace .. regulated to the n'th degree, but people have to implement all of that stuff and thence the problems. .. and we had them in spades !!
I just wondered if anyone did a test prior to install, if using non-packaged cable for example... who knows what may have happened to the cable twixt stores and installation ? Storage, improper contact with other materials, misuse etc.
Not in any way replacing the final test for certification of course.
But fair bit of work if they then find they have used a bad batch of cable!!
P

Sponsored Links
It's a moment's work to check insulation resistance and continuity on a reel of cable, and a total PITA to have to replace it later if it is faulty. No matter how rare it is for there to be problems, why not check?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back