Chasing for data cable - conduit?

I assume the ethernet cable is not terminated, as you wouldn't get it through oval.

I always run ELV cables in safe zones but AFAIK, there is no requirement to do so.
It has never occurred to me there may be a distinction between LV and ELV cables for safezones.

Sponsored Links
An assumption that some regs readers make?
There is no distinction as regards safe zones, they are for cables and the like, irrespective of voltage and current.

Sponsored Links
drill holes into the disused chimney and use the 9inch void as the conduit.
mhmm possible... The entire stack I think carries two flues, one from ground floor (also boarded up and unused) and one from this room. So I'd need to guess a bit where to enter in the loft. The chimney is vented via airbricks at the top (I had the caps removed) to allow moisture to dry out. Would this environment not potentially damage (shorten lifespan) of the network cable vs having it buried in plaster on the side? It would reduce my workload significantly and replacing the cable would be much easier than if plastered into the wall w/out using a conduit.

I assume the ethernet cable is not terminated, as you wouldn't get it through oval.
I haven't purchased the cable yet but I intend to buy a roll as I need to run other cables elsewhere. I already have the terminating/connector kit, which works well. Safe zone should be covered, as it falls in the line of the two existing sockets, but good point.

Cable intended for fixed installation is normally different from cable intended to connect between socket and computer,printer etc. Cable for fixed installations tend to be solid conductor rather than stranded like patch cables. Think t&e and flex so can you terminate the cable correctly or are you intending to fit wall sockets using punchdown connectors like phone sockets?

Would this environment not potentially damage (shorten lifespan) of the network cable vs having it buried in plaster on the side?
Assuming the chimney is not in use as a chimney, I would be astounded if the lifetime of the cable was affected by being run through it.

Assuming the chimney is not in use as a chimney, I would be astounded if the lifetime of the cable was affected by being run through it.
For what it's worth I know of an installation where a bunch of cat 5 cables have been run aroundthe outside of a building; cable tied to whatever was there, suspended across gaps, laying on flat roofs etc and has been there since at least 2002. The sheath of the grey still seems to be intact, the more recent dark green cable sheath has long since broken up and blown away in the wind but none have ceased to function.

the more recent dark green cable sheath has long since broken up and blown away in the wind but none have ceased to function.

I thought it was the answer that was blowin' in the wind, not bits of data cable sheath!

Just stick a bit of white oval in - it costs little and gives complete freedom to replace/alter cabling later - do you really know exactly what you might want in the future ? Just take it into the backbox (nibble out the hole if required) rather than the common practice of stopping half an inch short if the conduit doesn't match the hole in the box.
Use a deep box. I normally use 45mm (or 35mm for dual, not double, box). While most network sockets needs less, it makes routing the cable much easier.
Cat6 needs very careful handling. Find the min bend radius and observe it, don't kink it, and maintain the pair twists right up to the terminations. At gig ethernet speeds it's effectively an RF cable - something like 300MHz. It's a fairly skilled job to do right and I've seen many a "poor" job over the years.

Just take it into the backbox (nibble out the hole if required) rather than the common practice of stopping half an inch short if the conduit doesn't match the hole in the box.
I always just squeezed the end of the oval to make it round and pushed it into the round hole.

just for clarification, the picture I posted was just to show how much space I have between the plaster and the brick wall I prefer not to chase into. That double metal box is already now occupied by a double socket. I plan to put a separate 1 gang box left or above.

Agreed on careful handling of CAT6 cable, they don't bend easily and the outer sheath quickly get kinks. Thanks for all the responses so far, really good input. I will order all the parts now and then hopefully next weekend get on with the job.

just for clarification, the picture I posted was just to show how much space I have between the plaster and the brick wall I prefer not to chase into. That double metal box is already now occupied by a double socket. I plan to put a separate 1 gang box left or above.

Agreed on careful handling of CAT6 cable, they don't bend easily and the outer sheath quickly get kinks. Thanks for all the responses so far, really good input. I will order all the parts now and then hopefully next weekend get on with the job.
You don't need to put a separate box next to the existing box as you can get 2&1 backboxes
andhaving the faceplates tight against each other looks much neater in my opinion

Yep, I've used those already in another post suggested by Murdochcat. I cannot find them with 25mm depth, so If I use 35mm I need to actually chase into the brickwork. I will think about it as it will indeed be much cleaner than just slapped somewhere above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back