Chasing for data cable - conduit?

You don't need to put a separate box next to the existing box as you can get 2&1 backboxes
andhaving the faceplates tight against each other looks much neater in my opinion
Not seen those, nice.
Only trouble is it's fiddly plastering across the bridge. If you don't, then fittings can bend or crack (depending on materials) due to lack of support on one side. And/or you have loose fittings.
Yep, I've used those already in another post suggested by Murdochcat. I cannot find them with 25mm depth, so If I use 35mm I need to actually chase into the brickwork. I will think about it as it will indeed be much cleaner than just slapped somewhere above.
while it's a bit more work to go 35mm, the extra space in the box is well worth it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you are right about the "bridge " being awkward to plaster, the dry lining boxes are better in that the bridge is level with the rest of the rim

mhmm so I went with the chimney void Idea, but it did not quite work out exactly. This portion of the building only has two floors, so in theory the chimney construction should something like this.

Via the loft, I drilled a 45deg downward sloping hole (to avoid a strong cable bend) and fed the cat cable down. I definitely have drilled into a void, but the cable is not coming down despite feeding 2m into the hole. I thought I had gotten the wrong flue, the one feeding the other floor, so I drilled another hole on the others side of the stack. Same issue.

Could it be some damper stopping my cable from dropping down into the actual fire place? Any other ideasI could try? I only have limited access from either side. The loft only has that 10mm hole I drilled and since the chimney is boarded up, I am navigating through that one hole from the double socket.

USB endoscope camera on a 3m cable can be had for not much at all. Was useful when fishing cat6 down a wall cavity.

Sponsored Links
mhmm so I went with the chimney void Idea, but it did not quite work out exactly. This portion of the building only has two floors, so in theory the chimney construction should something like this.

Via the loft, I drilled a 45deg downward sloping hole (to avoid a strong cable bend) and fed the cat cable down. I definitely have drilled into a void, but the cable is not coming down despite feeding 2m into the hole. I thought I had gotten the wrong flue, the one feeding the other floor, so I drilled another hole on the others side of the stack. Same issue.

Could it be some damper stopping my cable from dropping down into the actual fire place? Any other ideasI could try? I only have limited access from either side. The loft only has that 10mm hole I drilled and since the chimney is boarded up, I am navigating through that one hole from the double socket.
I drop a length of chain ~6-12 inches long on the end of a piece of string and mark the string say every yard. Sometimes I use a tube in the drilled hole to get the drop into the centre of the void to clear any obstructions (such as mortar bulges)
string in void.jpg

Epilogue:
After a 2 week holiday I gave this another go again. Tried all above, I even stuck a few glow sticks through, just to confirm which of the two holes I drilled was the right one... they were to weak to reveal anything. After trying for an entire day, just about to give up and make plans to chase down on the outside, I gave it one last attempt. Mrs was downstairs monitoring the chimney and suddenly yelling "I see the cable"... It seemed super simple and straight forward and I have no clue why I was unable to get this sooner. Cable probably curled and twisted in a bad direction... anyway it's all good now, will deepen the box and fit a 2+1. Network connection is already there and tested, so happy days. Thanks for everyone's input.

I drop a length of chain ~6-12 inches long on the end of a piece of string and mark the string say every yard. Sometimes I use a tube in the drilled hole to get the drop into the centre of the void to clear any obstructions (such as mortar bulges)View attachment 350577
Yup, after you done things a few times you get a kinda feel for these "fishing" techniques but still get that odd one or two that can be a problem.
It is amazing howw adept you can get with a piece of MT2 trunking lid, do not leave it in a household unattended overnight because someone will decide to "tidy" it away by rolling it into a loose diameter for neatness and in the morning it will never straighten out a s you need it :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back