Cholesterol and Roast potatoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strictly speaking some might consider cooking, not as a hobby.

When it comes to health I find nutrition fascinating.

So I do consider it a hobby.

So my latest health drive is upping my game against cholesterol.

I eat healthy, but not healthy enough it seems as I'm told I need to ho on Statins.

So I'm upping my game when it comes to health.

Sponsored Links
The wonderful news is that Roast potatoes are not necessarily bad for cholesterol or type 2 diabetes.

I'm already into my gut health so this hack interested me.

Then I found this:
Roast potatoes are not bad for cholesterol if prepared correctly:

Nutrition
Potatoes are low in calories, fat, and cholesterol, and contain fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are also a good source of vitamin C and potassium.

Preparation
Frying potatoes in oil can destroy nutrients and increase cholesterol. Instead, you can bake potatoes or boil them. You can also try using healthier fats like olive oil or a healthier butter alternative.

Serving
Potatoes are often served with butter, sour cream, cheese, or bacon, which can increase their fat and cholesterol content. To reduce saturated fat, you can top baked potatoes with vegetables, salsa, or low-fat sour cream.

Fiber
Potato peels contain the most fiber, so you can eat potatoes with the peels on. The soluble fiber in potatoes can help reduce the absorption of cholesterol into your bloodstream.

If it’s on tik tok, it must be true!

Seriously, there’s no cholesterol or fat in a potato. If you’re that concerned, dry roast them or use minimal oil. After I’ve par-boiled my spuds, I let them dry out, then rough the surfaces up with a fork and them druzzke minimal oil of them before roasting. I never have any oil left on the bottom of my pan - I can’t stand roast potatoes tgat are swimming in oil.

If it’s on tik tok, it must be true!

Seriously, there’s no cholesterol or fat in a potato. If you’re that concerned, dry roast them or use minimal oil. After I’ve par-boiled my spuds, I let them dry out, then rough the surfaces up with a fork and them druzzke minimal oil of them before roasting. I never have any oil left on the bottom of my pan - I can’t stand roast potatoes tgat are swimming in oil.
Thanks for taking part in the Roast potato thread.

I've always believed that roasted tatoes are high cholesterol.
I pretty much much do them as you have said.

This morning at about 3am, as I had a spare moment
I par boiled
Drained and left to cool.
Then froze sweet & white pots.

I'm planning on cooking them in Avocado cold presed oil .
Unless I read any other oil would be better.

Sponsored Links
According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, more than half of the wetlands in the lower 48 states are gone, and the rate of loss is only accelerating. Between 2009 and 2019, an area of vegetated wetlands in the US the combined size of Rhode Island disappeared.

For the Coeur d’Alene tribe, a healthy wetland signifies a way to curb rising temperatures that will provide the basis for the return of a rich food source and a traditional way of life. That a wetland serves as the lynchpin means that the tribe is taking on the restoration of an ecosystem that is especially threatened as the world’s climate trends hotter and more arid. Because wetlands are areas where water is at or near the surface for large parts of the year, severe bouts of drought made more common by climate change threaten their existence.

To protect their land and community, the Coeur d’Alene are in the middle of an ongoing, multi-decade effort that relies, in part, on elder knowledge to restore an important wetland. The tribe is bringing back beavers and salmon, restoring native grasses, and repairing stream channels. Collectively, those efforts are designed to restore balance to the landscape, make it more resilient to future climate change by fostering interconnected ecosystems, and, tribal members hope, one day allow them to rely again on important ancestral foods like the water potato.

“We’ve been living off of the foods that are on our land for thousands upon thousands of years,” James said. “Reconnecting with that food reconnects us with our land.” VOX.com

According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, more than half of the wetlands in the lower 48 states are gone, and the rate of loss is only accelerating. Between 2009 and 2019, an area of vegetated wetlands in the US the combined size of Rhode Island disappeared.

For the Coeur d’Alene tribe, a healthy wetland signifies a way to curb rising temperatures that will provide the basis for the return of a rich food source and a traditional way of life. That a wetland serves as the lynchpin means that the tribe is taking on the restoration of an ecosystem that is especially threatened as the world’s climate trends hotter and more arid. Because wetlands are areas where water is at or near the surface for large parts of the year, severe bouts of drought made more common by climate change threaten their existence.

To protect their land and community, the Coeur d’Alene are in the middle of an ongoing, multi-decade effort that relies, in part, on elder knowledge to restore an important wetland. The tribe is bringing back beavers and salmon, restoring native grasses, and repairing stream channels. Collectively, those efforts are designed to restore balance to the landscape, make it more resilient to future climate change by fostering interconnected ecosystems, and, tribal members hope, one day allow them to rely again on important ancestral foods like the water potato.

“We’ve been living off of the foods that are on our land for thousands upon thousands of years,” James said. “Reconnecting with that food reconnects us with our land.” VOX.com

That's an impressive piece of writing.

I do try to eat British in season veg as they would in the war years beyond and before.

You should know cholesterol is barely affected by what you eat , less than 5% , you can have best diet in the world but have high cholesterol or visa versa.

You should know cholesterol is barely affected by what you eat , less than 5% , you can have best diet in the world but have high cholesterol or visa versa.

From what I understand is that cholesterol is diet, exercise, historic health and historic family links to cholesterol

Some I can't control some is within my control, hopefully
Eating an healthy diet can only help.

I don't want to start on Statins, however I may have to.

I par boiled
Drained and left to cool.
Then froze sweet & white pots.

I'm planning on cooking them in Avocado cold presed oil .
Unless I read any other oil would be better.
I just use sunflower oil but switch to goose fat for my Christmas roasties. You can roast them as normal and then take them out 5 minutes or so before they are done, let them cool and then freeze them. Then, just pop them back in the oven, frozen, for 10-15 minutes to finish them off when you want them.

I have quite low chloresterol, but my doc has put me on statins. I am retired. My chums of similar age are also on statins, regardless of chloresterol level and general fitness. I surmise that it is intended to reduce illness among those at risk.

See

Cutting salt levels in processed food also made an impressive difference among the UK population, just like fluoride in toothpaste reduced child tooth decay and HPV vaccination has reduced cervical and other cancers among those young enough to have had it.

Sorry, straying from the subject, but I think this is a tremendous achievement. By now the numbers will be much higher. It was introduced in 2008 for girls, but, stupidly, not for boys until 2019.

"A study published in The Lancet in 2021 found that cervical cancer rates were 87% lower in young women who had been eligible for HPV vaccination when they were aged 12 to 13 years, compared to young women who had not been offered vaccination, providing strong evidence the programme is preventing cervical cancers. Overall, the study estimated that the HPV programme had prevented about 450 cancers and 17,200 pre-cancers up to mid-2019."

Source: UK Health Security Agency Published 20 June 2023

Sorry, straying from the subject, but I think this is a tremendous achievement. By now the numbers will be much higher. It was introduced in 2008 for girls, but, stupidly, not for boys until 2019.

"A study published in The Lancet in 2021 found that cervical cancer rates were 87% lower in young women who had been eligible for HPV vaccination when they were aged 12 to 13 years, compared to young women who had not been offered vaccination, providing strong evidence the programme is preventing cervical cancers. Overall, the study estimated that the HPV programme had prevented about 450 cancers and 17,200 pre-cancers up to mid-2019."

Source: UK Health Security Agency Published 20 June 2023
Why not post this in one of your anti-Israel threads, it’ll be just as off-topic and irrelevant as it is in this roast potato thread.

Sponsored Links
Back