Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m currently having our roof replaced, it’s a pitched roof for mid terrace house with apex. Our apex valley has been changed to a closed cut style which I had never heard of (photos attached) so I am apprehensive about its efficiency, durability and cost of maintenance.

We have always had an open valley which lasted 50+ years without trouble, its only in the last 18months that the mortar became problematic/ caused leaking due to natural wear and tear.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on this. The new valley although closed cut has gaps all the way through, and has new membrane exposed due to the gaps, they said they put aluminium under the membrane. However, I don’t understand how water could run freely, and the membrane is likely to catch falling debris, moss etc, and worried about lack of flow, roofer said they could cut the top membrane so the aluminium is more exposed but I don’t know what consequence this will have over the valley’s functionality?

Also worried that by not cutting the membrane it will rot because the exposed parts will naturally wear and tear more quickly and any moss, algae etc will spread to other parts of the membrane - making it weak and cause other issues.

I’m very upset with the roofing company because originally they said ‘our valleys are cut closer than most companies’ by which I thought they meant the valley would be open but narrower than others, which I was fine with, then to my surprise they created a closed valley and now saying that is the only way they do valleys.

I am nervous about how effective this would be, worried about more frequent and costly maintenance, the issues with the exposed membrane but equally worried about them cutting it and effects of that etc

I don’t have a clue about roofing so don’t know what to do, do I ask them to cut the membrane, do I go to another company that can redo the valley as an open one, do I just stick with what I have and take the risk of potential problems to come?

Also, they said they installed 2-4 layers of breathable membrane, two below aluminium and one on top, how can I check that is the case? And what underlays should they have used?

Thank you
Timi
IMG_4511.jpeg
IMG_4512.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
unfortunately I have paid most of it, very disheartened to hear this, can anyone please advice what I can do to get it rectified, would appreciate suggestions for both the company that did the job and another/ alternative company?

unfortunately I have paid most of it, very disheartened to hear this, can anyone please advice what I can do to get it rectified, would appreciate suggestions for both the company that did the job and another/ alternative company?

Where did you find the company, Checkatrade, or similar site?

As others have said, that is a terrible bodge, and that's just the bit you can see. Don't pay them any more, find a reputable company, ask them to write a report, then try to get some of your money back, based on the report. Trading Standards, might be interested, able to help.

I initially received flyer through the letterbox, they did other non roofing work for our neighbour (their company does roofing as well as other building and home improvement work), I then checked them in checkstrade, trustpilot, mybuilder, bark, all platforms had very positive reviews, checked them on companies house - shows they’ve been around for some years, also spoke with a lady who had complete roof work done by them and said overall she is happy, but unsure if her valley will leak - they did her apex valley the same way a year ago and she hasn’t noticed any leak yet.

Before I decided to go with this company, I had 10 other companies visit and give quotes, I spoke with numerous neighbours in my area who have had new roofs and none recommended the company that did their roof, this company also quoted more than others but I thought worth paying a bit more for quality, I liked the company owner’s approach, he was very solutions focused, professional, patient, gave me a lot of reassurances, and I liked the fact that they do more than roofing so we could get other work done at the same time, all this plus the positive reviews and feedback from an actual customer.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was fearing the most, i thought i did all I could re. due diligence, don’t want to get into legal dispute and if I do or refuse to pay the rest they can damage the roof work done on the main roof, or cause other damages to our property before the scaffolds are down! I literally put aside all my savings for this roof work. The company owner is coming by to discuss this and other issues tomorrow, and I want to be prepared for the discussion, is there anything the existing company can do to rectify this?

Last edited:
Seeking work, going door to door, is an immediate red flag. No company offering good value, and doing a professional job, needs to seek work that way, they will be flooded out and booked up weeks/months ahead. A year with no obvious leaks, is no guarantee that there are none. A nice friendly manner, is likewise no indication of a good job having been done - all the con artists, have a nice, persuasive friendly manner.

I then checked them in checkstrade, trustpilot, mybuilder, bark, all platforms had very positive reviews,

Those are all similar places, platforms, where you can be almost certain to find semi-skilled people, and unfortunately the reviews can be meaningless. They get their friends to give the positive reviews, the honest negative reviews, tend to be deleted. The fact that they have been around, might be a positive aspect. All you can do is say you are disgusted by the valley, and invite them to get in a professional, to sort it out, until then - pay them no more money.

That valley is not even reasonable for a complete amateur. The gap and lines should be perfectly straight. The valley needs to be open, and clear of any obstructions, otherwise the channel will quickly block with debris. How might anyone then be able to clear it? If that is the job they have done, which you can see, what sort of job have they done where you cannot see? Aluminium is a much cheaper option to a proper lead valley.

Thank you @Harry Bloomfield I really appreciate your meaningful response and recommendations, as well as your useful feedback, agree on all points after this experience, I wish I found this forum before I assigned any company, it could have saved me a lot of stress, heartache and my wallet. What is done I cannot undo, but just afraid of them damaging my property and the roof already installed if I make such demands, I can’t see him agreeing to hiring a professional roofer to redo the valley, he was very reticent about even putting a bit of taurpaline because I was so worried about them leaving the new membrane exposed to the elements in some parts of roof because they hadn’t installed all the tiles at that point, let alone getting him to agree to spend his money on hiring another roofer, when he already has a team and wouldn’t trust anyone he would get even if he does agree given their poor workmanship, I realised from this process that they like to save money by trying to do things on the cheap so god only knows who he would bring and what they will do with the new valley.

but just afraid of them damaging my property and the roof already installed if I make such demands,

Well then, all I can suggest, is tell him you are not happy with the work, pay no more, tell him the remainder of the work is on hold, and get in touch with TS. Alternatively, tell him you had a family financial crisis, and do not have the money to pay him any more, then get TS involved. If you really feel threatened, involve the police.

Thank you @danfre & @Harry Bloomfield just for context this is what the apex roof looks and the diagonal line running in the middle just beneath the loft window for each side is where we originally had open valleys which they closed, pics attached
IMG_4509.jpeg
IMG_4508.jpeg

Last edited:
Its a definite bodge. Not a straightforward fix either. You definitely need a 'proper' roofer to look at it and advise.

1) where and how do you find a proper roofer? Since the following sources are no good; trader sites like checkatrade, online listings sites etc, I have asked 13 neighbours who had new roofs done and none recommend the company that did their roof, so no personal recommendation.

2) where can I also find an independent roof surveyor or inspector to check everything and write a report? I don’t want an inspector : surveyor from a roofing company, I lost faith in them, just want someone qualified and independent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back