c'mon toon

Sponsored Links
You only just found out, or been on a four-day bender to ease the pain?? :LOL:

Heard about this at work today......

ftm.jpg

Don't know why Alan Shearer is referred to as Mary Poppins though.

Sponsored Links
It's a Freddy Shepherd Quote...

"Alan Shearer is boring - we call him Mary Poppins."

This seems to have put my Geordie mate's nose out of joint re footballing matters. Oh...and I am not a ES reader, by the way. ;)

Why has a piece written by Matthew Ugly Fugger Norman put his nose out of joint? The Toon were WELL past their sell by date in the Premiership. Shearer came into a job that no one else would have taken on. Most sensible minded folk knew he didn't really stand any chance of rescuing them (even if we hoped it might not be true!). Some think it's a good thing that the club has been relegated to the Championship. That it will give the club a chance to get rid of 'Dead Wood!' That 'New Blood' can be brought in to re-energise and allow the club to 'regroup' thus mounting a successful promotion. My own opinion however is, who is going to want to buy our 'Dead Wood'? Who of any calibre would want to come to a Championship club that is in turmoil? A 'Regrouped' team will take time, possibly a full season, to fully 'gel' with each other. Mike Ashley has once again put the club up for sale for a price tag of £100,000,000. It is rumoured he will accept as little as £80,000,000. But again, who is going to buy a club at those prices that will, at best, be non profitable for at least a year and at worst, who knows! Then there's the Championship to consider. There are plenty of clubs in that league that are going to be more than a match for a depressed, dejected and demoralised Newcastle United.

To say that the club is in turmoil is an understatement. The only saving grace the club has (at this moment in time), is the loyalty of the fans who pay for their Season Ticket season in, season out. And the only Ace Card that I can see the club having in terms of attracting decent players, is Alan Shearer. He may well be VERY inexperienced in 'managing' a club but he is widely respected amongst his peers and it is that respect that MAY just help this club back into one of the most exciting leagues in the world! Only time will tell.

Why has a piece written by Matthew Ugly Fugger Norman put his nose out of joint? The Toon were WELL past their sell by date in the Premiership. Shearer came into a job that no one else would have taken on. Most sensible minded folk knew he didn't really stand any chance of rescuing them (even if we hoped it might not be true!). Some think it's a good thing that the club has been relegated to the Championship. That it will give the club a chance to get rid of 'Dead Wood!' That 'New Blood' can be brought in to re-energise and allow the club to 'regroup' thus mounting a successful promotion. My own opinion however is, who is going to want to buy our 'Dead Wood'? Who of any calibre would want to come to a Championship club that is in turmoil? A 'Regrouped' team will take time, possibly a full season, to fully 'gel' with each other. Mike Ashley has once again put the club up for sale for a price tag of £100,000,000. It is rumoured he will accept as little as £80,000,000. But again, who is going to buy a club at those prices that will, at best, be non profitable for at least a year and at worst, who knows! Then there's the Championship to consider. There are plenty of clubs in that league that are going to be more than a match for a depressed, dejected and demoralised Newcastle United.

To say that the club is in turmoil is an understatement. The only saving grace the club has (at this moment in time), is the loyalty of the fans who pay for their Season Ticket season in, season out. And the only Ace Card that I can see the club having in terms of attracting decent players, is Alan Shearer. He may well be VERY inexperienced in 'managing' a club but he is widely respected amongst his peers and it is that respect that MAY just help this club back into one of the most exciting leagues in the world! Only time will tell.

I reckon you're pretty much on the money with that post, Blasphemous. Even though similar points are made in the article it is probably because Matthew Norman is seen a a smug to**er writing for a southern audience that put the said nose was out of joint. There is as much chance of Mike Ashley getting £80,000,000 for NU as General Motors receiving Car of the Year award. Hope the toon don't do a Leeds, though. ;)

And Sunderland relegated... just 'Boro to go and everything will be right with the world.

Sponsored Links
Back