Condensation in small box room with North facing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a small box room used by my eldest son with a North facing wall and a bay window facing East.

As we are in a conservation area we have old timber windows (with secondary glazing) but most winters we get a lot of condensation in this room. The inner window frames are getting mouldy but we currently are having them refurbished and painted. The room has a single divan bed with the long end running beneath the window.
We have already had cavity wall insulation installed a number of years back but I would like to see if there is something else I can do before the winter to get ahead of the inevitable problems that will come with condensation.

Perhaps install something against the North facing wall?

Also, I'm not sure where I read it but I understand that a standard bed frame that is raised off the ground rather than a divan style bed would help circulate the air? Our divan is actually in top condition and having the extra storage below is very useful so wanted to get an idea of it there is actually any value is getting it replaced with a standard frame or not.

Appreciate any tips and thoughts! ... esp on the bed frame consideration!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Definitely keep items away from the cold wall and create air flow,can the bed be repositioned to the warm side ?

Sadly the bed can't be repositioned due to the warm side being where the door is situated. We keep the headboard butted against the warm side though and have a few cm gap of the bed from both the cold end and the window side.

Sponsored Links
Condensation = lack of ventilation, moving or changing the bed type for better airflow MAY improve wall temperatures to stop moist air from condensating on them but doesn't alter the fact that the moisture laden air has not been allowed to exit the room via a trickle vent or a slightly ajar window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back