Consumer layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved in to new rental property, I need power in the conservatory for a freezer and dryer, also possibly a light. The sockets appear to be on 2.5mm radial circuits. I've not seen this before as I've only ever had ring mains and was hoping to spur off. Also why have a split board and the a rcd of same rating on the feed to consumer unit. This may be perfectly normal just hoping for some advise on how to proceed, thanks
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

Sponsored Links
Radial circuits are a perfectly valid method of providing power.

That is a brand new AMD 3 board, so my guess is that the old fuseboard did not have any RCD protection, and the 30mA RCD on the meter tails was there to provide the necessary protection. It really should be changed for just a 100amp switch, as there is no point having a split board with another RCD up front!
Possibly the fuse/isolator of the main feed to the property is either sealed, or not accessible so the electrician left it in situ. It's not a good thing as any earth fault on any circuit could potentially cut all of the power to the property.

As for how to proceed... well, as it is a rental property, surely the only way is for you ask the landlord to provide the additional electrical points and lights?

My advice: DO NOT TOUCH A THING.

It is a rental property and you do not have authority to alter the wiring.

If you need power in another room that has none, ask the landlord for advice.

The landlord may not want a dryer in the conservatory, it could cause damp.

The freezer may not work correctly in the conservatory if it gets very cold.

There are also some issues with the installation: the RCD covering the tails should be time-delayed. If there is no reason for the RCD, it could be changed for an isolation switch.

The tails themselves should not have the outer covering of the cable cut back to show the inner insulation.

The cables entering the CU/ RCD box (if not already) should be protected from the metal by grommets and the holes sealed up.

EDIT: Beaten to it again....I'm just a slowcoach like that old donkey!

There is no mention of Bed 2 sockets, so either it got left off the circuit description or the guy put "Bed 1" where he meant "Bed 2", as "Bed 1" appears twice. It is perfectly possible that there are sockets in the same room on different breakers, though.

Sponsored Links
[nervous]Ummm......no..........no, there's nothing in Bed 2...nothing at all, nothing, do you hear??[/nervous]

Wylex RCD in a Hager enclosure will not conform to type testing.

why only one indoor lighting circuit in a house big enough to have a dining room and a utility room as well as 3 bedrooms, and socket radials on 16A not 20A? Water heater and kitchen sockets on a single 16A?

What idiot writes 'spare' in the ways that are empty? Really helpful for the next person who has to add a circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back