Cooker point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am a new member and work as a TV/VCR engineer in the NW but dont have a great deal of experience with household electrics and have one or two questions if anyone can help.

I have just a double socket in the kitchen of the house i am in at the moment which as far as i can gather is connected to an old CU (with wired fuses) with a 15 amp fuse, i want to do away with this and just have a cooker point with a single socket, i know i will have to run some heavier cable the run is about 12M but the fuse is colour coded blue (15 amp), can i just alter the value of the fuse wire or do i have to replace the cartridge to accomadate a higher rating of fuse or is there maybe a better solution?

Sponsored Links
you would have to change the cable first, to just uprate the fuse not good.

Idealy it would be best if you could get a plug in mcb of the correct rating to your new cooker

For a 12M run with a 10KW cooker what fuse and size cable would you reccomend

provided its not running in thermal insulation 10mm on a 45A

if thermal insulation is involved it should be 16mm

is the old CU a wylex
if no then good f*cking luck finding anything for it anymore
if yes then is the main switch rating 100A
if no then the most that should be fitted is a 32A breaker (larger units are not supposed to fit but the keying system that is meant to stop you is not very effective)
if yes then you can fit a 45A cartridge fuse (plug in mcbs stop at 40A)

also if you use a 45A cartridge fuse then you should use a cooker control unit without socket

p.s. by the deversity rules you would be allowed to put the cooker on a 32A cuircuit but neusesnce tripping is fairly likely

Sponsored Links
Plug

you can get stuff for Wylex standard range at WF easy.

Wholesale Fittings - wholesaler - but they do serve JP.

jp being joe public. most wholesaler will sell anything to anyone, question is at what price

My point being that if you are desperate, and cannot source goods from elsewhere, then a wholesaler is worth a try. For a one off product, the price will not be too important over getting hold of the goods.

Mind you, in WF today, they sold a geezer an NB32 breaker (old style mcb) for 11 sovs. That's a lot, when NS breakers are under 4 quid.

ABM in Croydon do a 45A cartridge fuse for Wylex Standard Range for 9.80+.

If the Wylex unit does not have a 100A main switch, it is not designed for a device greater than 32A anyway. Check this out first.

plugwash said:
also if you use a 45A cartridge fuse then you should use a cooker control unit without socket
You should be OK re disconnection times with 16mm, no?

This is an old wylex box with the mains switch rated at 60 amp and the cooker is rated at 30 amp so would i not be able to use 6mm cable and a 32 Amp MCB?

On the plate at the front its rated as 10kw total output and on the back plate it states that it must be connected to a 30 Amp cooker point

ban-all-sheds said:
plugwash said:
You should be OK re disconnection times with 16mm, no?

afaict on a worst case TN-S you CANNOT meet 0.4 second disconnect with a 45A whatever the cuiurcuit cable is

a cooker cuircuit without socket only needs 5 second disconnect which a 45A cartridge meets easilly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back