Coving lighting – regs compliant?

MR16 = multifaceted reflector 16/8 of an inch across, the MR11 is 11/8 of an inch across, the bass can be GU10, G5.3, or even SES, the base and the lamp size are different. The GX53 was larger diameter but much shallower, the next size up was the 2D lamps.

In the main, GU10 is held by the base, so two standard lengths, the G5.3 is normally extra low voltage and held in with clips.

There have been accessaries to allow fitting in a corner,
1721987327793.png
1721987384233.png
I remember my father-in-law fitting a dropped ceiling with fluorescent lights hidden from direct view,
1721987866864.png
I have seen this in airports, so likely that's where he got the idea from.

Today, the strip LED lights make is easier,
1721987936101.png
either pre-made, or
1721988025708.png
the LED strips, the problem is where to hide the voltage droppers, Display-cabinet-lights-small.jpg I used it to light my display cabinet, and I have ornaments on the top, to hide the power supplies. Also, many come as wallmart units, with power supply build into the plug, so no alternative but have a 13 amp socket.

I am sure you could make a unit to take the MR11 or MR16 lamps, so they do fit on a flat surface, but getting ready-made is likely harder.

Sponsored Links
Actually, well spotted – I had not noticed that all of those were 50mm diameter lightbulbs.

However, as others have pointed out, there are plenty of suppliers listing GU10 35mm lightbullbs. The distinction seems to be that they are calling these “MR11 GU10” or “Mini GU10”. Perhaps this is something relatively new to the UK, that will become more mainstream (like Edison screw was 30 years ago).

Either way, Integral sell the lamps, and the lightbulbs. I don’t really see that as being any different to buying an integrated lamp, where you might have to replace the whole thing (rather than just the bulb) some time down the line. My main issue is size restriction, and these smaller lamps are better suited.
Hardly new, I was fitting 5W dichroic MR11's mid 90's in nightclubs to light stairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back