Digital Output (Open Collector) to Analog Ground?

The theory is that I can have the FMB920 send a "GND" signal via DOUT to the Ampire (Pin 2) and hold ground "until I say so".

The wiring is "good", well, for "normal functionality"... it's just this DOUT <> GND issue. That said, each device has it's own direct line to +, and own - ground points.
Looking through the info, it appears that the Ampire is expecting a direct connection to a device such as the FMB920. It probably has in-built pullup resistors anyway.

To troubleshoot, I would start by testing the DOut1 - if you have something like a small 12V bulb (around 5W, or an LED and a suitable resistor), does it illuminate when connected between DOut1 and +12V when you enter the appropriate command?

And on the Ampire, brown on pin 2 is by default not plugged in. Have you connected it?
If you connect pin 2 to ground, does the Ampire behave as expected?

Sponsored Links
And on the Ampire, brown on pin 2 is by default not plugged in. Have you connected it?
If you connect pin 2 to ground, does the Ampire behave as expected?

Yes. I think I've clocked it though. Check my post on the previous page. I think DOUT is white, not Grey...... "Doh-Out".

I've just noticed something..................................................................................................................

The colour scheme on the website, suggests DOUT as being "Grey", and I was also advised Grey by two separate sources....

But on the unit itself, it says DOUT is white... Might be a nice win in the morning...

I always always always get stung by the obvious/taking things as gospel.
Screenshot_20231024-220053_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Hiding in plain sight! ;)

This is from the manual of the device, does this suggest there's no float?

The point is, that the output should never float, as in floating about aimlessly - the output should only be high, or low, a definate 1 or a 0. The open collector transistor, switching on or off, works against the pull up resistor shorting the output to ground/zero, when turned on, or when not when turned off the resistor pulls the voltage up.

Sponsored Links
I have a slightly different revision, so it looks slightly different, but regardless. The information printed on mine is the same.

Need some daylight now to play...

Either way, you lot have been great and I've learnt loads in the space of a few hours. Thank you! I shall report back in the morning, I bet you all can't wait...!

The point is, that the output should never float, as in floating about aimlessly - the output should only be high, or low, a definate 1 or a 0. The open collector transistor, switching on or off, works against the pull up resistor shorting the output to ground/zero, when turned on, or when not when turned off the resistor pulls the voltage up.
As above, it seems as if this device is designed for these sort of interconnections, so I suspect it will be plug and play.
No external pull-ups required!
I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Although a home automation project with GPS trackers, sounds... Intriguing! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back