Do I need conduit in this case?

Sponsored Links
but the op could just take a small nibble out of the bit on the side and marry it up alonside another pattress then the cables wouldnt be seen/exposed
Yes indeed, I imagine OP would prefer to purchase products matching those already fitted and therefore a nibble out of both patresses will suffice, as will drilling a hole as discussed.

Personally I'd drill with a step drill as they make a lovely clean and acurate hole in patress material and the next size cut creates an excellent de-burred finish, in my opinion no further action is required if the 2 boxes are butted tight together
That's brilliant - Thank you.
However other contributors may say: "Such a thing could probably be used to make a hole of some size or other. I certainly would not use one for any purpose ever. A 20mm holesaw would be a more usual choice to make a 20mm hole."
Also surprised some of the purists haven't chimed in.

Perhaps, this topic is too dull for them? :mrgreen:
A 20mm holesaw is far more likely 'snatch' and crack in brittle material or to make a shoddy hole with sharp edges.
100% agreed
Do you have space to fit a double socket beside that? From the vertical paint finish it looks like there is an edge to the left.

I do not have space at the moment. Light switch is on the RHS and Electrical Cutout is on the LHS.

To do the job, I would have to move the light switch.

When drilling this sort ofmaterial, let the drill bit do the work, don't force it at all.

Sponsored Links
That's brilliant - Thank you.

Also surprised some of the purists haven't chimed in.

Perhaps, this topic is too dull for them? :mrgreen:

100% agreed

I do not have space at the moment. Light switch is on the RHS and Electrical Cutout is on the LHS.

To do the job, I would have to move the light switch.
In that case for simplicity it may be better to go back to plan A and add the additional socket above or below, with a gap about the size of a socket, using a short length of couduit or trunking. Or possibly a 3rd patress with a blanking plate.

In that case for simplicity it may be better to go back to plan A and add the additional socket above or below, with a gap about the size of a socket, using a short length of couduit or trunking. Or possibly a 3rd patress with a blanking plate.
1726845312007.png
This will reduce the obstruction by leaving plenty of space for cable route

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back