Domestics...

I remember looking at a compressor, using my multi-meter on ohms, and reading seemed OK, but returned with my mega and it showed short circuit. If multi-meter not showing infinity, then likely a fault.
Yep 400KΩ is not enough to trip the RCD but didconnecting the blue neutral leaves the RCD holding ok. I fully expect expect a very different reading using insulation tester.
If you had not showed the switch drop, I would have said three core used for that,
Twas my instant assumption until I started unpicking the bundle. I was hesitant to do so but the other downstairs lights are horrible Ikea stuff and ba****ds to fit so I avoided touching them which thankfully proved to be the right move.

Sponsored Links
I would be looking at the lights in the adjacent rooms to see if the connections are similar or offer up any clues
Strangely enough I mentioned to an electrical pal about half hour ago that some folks get the notion if an electrical circuit is not a bog standard electrical circuit it is therefore incorrect, irrespective of whether it actually is incorrect or non-compliant

Strangely enough I mentioned to an electrical pal about half hour ago that some folks get the notion if an electrical circuit is not a bog standard electrical circuit it is therefore incorrect, irrespective of whether it actually is incorrect or non-compliant
Yes, it's not necessarily wrong.

I seem to remember adding some lights in an unconventional manner to avoid loads of trunking - by taking the live from the light switch, and the neutral from the emergency light supply (single pole key switch). So that meant running cables with one conductor (and earth).

Naturally, a few years later the maintenance guy decided to change the new lights, and wired them how HE thought it should be, because it 'didn't look right' how I had.

Bastards.

Yes, it's not necessarily wrong.

I seem to remember adding some lights in an unconventional manner to avoid loads of trunking - by taking the live from the light switch, and the neutral from the emergency light supply (single pole key switch). So that meant running cables with one conductor (and earth).

Naturally, a few years later the maintenance guy decided to change the new lights, and wired them how HE thought it should be, because it 'didn't look right' how I had.

Bastards.
I've even known something similar logged as C2 & C1 along with the quotes to make it safe.

It breaks my heart to see the public being abused by some of these Bastards.

EDIT: I've known wiring and conduit on a farm being ripped out and replaced with larger tube because the live and neutral entered from opposite ends

Sponsored Links
The age old "Two circuits on one fuse" used to be pretty rife as a fault determination by some .
How the hack can it be?

Similarly the two rings on one fuseway crops up often (well everytime I mention it anyway = ooh I am a devil I am), Anyway it all adds to the fun.
Just to note - No normally I would not advocate two rings on one fuseway anyway but to condemn it as non compliant or dangerous is something different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back