earth strap on incoming mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced an old stopcock in our kitchen that had stopped working. There's an earth wire on the incoming copper water pipe. However, I also installed a surestop wotsit, which is plastic, so nothing after that in the house will be earthed (pipes, I mean). Should I organise to get a strap from one side of the surestop to the other (I think Surestop sell such a kit).?

I expect there is plastic pipe littered here and there in most dwellings now....has this make bonding of the incoming water main redundant?

Sponsored Links
Should I organise to get a strap from one side of the surestop to the other (I think Surestop sell such a kit).?
No, not necessary; only the incoming pipe requires bonding.

I expect there is plastic pipe littered here and there in most dwellings now....has this make bonding of the incoming water main redundant?
No, as I said, only the metal pipe emerging from the ground requires bonding.

Parts need bonding because they are earthed.

can I ask what the point of an earth wire to the first 6" only of the main water supply? Genuinely curious

It is not an earth wire; it is bonding - to join electrically parts which are earthed differently.

It ensures that, in the event of a fault, there is no potential difference (voltage) between the pipe, which is earthed by the ground, and the electrical installation earth, in case anyone should be touching both at the same time.

That you have only six inches :whistle: left might make it seem a bit OTT but it is there - often under the sink.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
can I check if the bonding I do have is connected by doing a continuity check with my multimeter and the nearest earth pin in a socket?

Yes.

If you can, measure the resistance between the pipe and the main earthing terminal - it should be next to no Ohms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back